Margaret M. Burnett
School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Oregon State University
Corvallis, Oregon, 97331-5501, USA
email: my-last-name at eecs dot oregonstate dot edu
voice: 541-737-2539, FAX: 541-737-1300
office: Kelley Engineering Center, 3051
- Sept. 2019: Here's an interview about GenderMag on the IEEE's Software Engineering Radio podcast series. Thanks to Felienne Hermans for being such a great interviewer.
- July 1, 2019: Here's the Oregon Public Broadcasting Think-out-loud program featuring GenderMag. (GenderMag is the second segment, starts about 20 minutes in.
- March 2019: Here are Anicia Peters (Namibia Univ. Science and Tech.) and me on Good Morning Namibia, talking about GenderMag and the importance to Namibians, Africans, and everyone, of diversity in technology.
- Jan. 2019: It's official: I'm now a speaker for the U.S. Speaker Program at the Department of State. This means the Dept of State will occasionally invite me to speak to embassy-identified audiences overseas. First event: GenderMag talks and workshops in Namibia!
- Jan. 2019: Latest GenderMag news: GenderMag is expanding to move directly from finding a gender bias in software to fixing it. Details just out in the preprint of our CHI'19 paper: From Gender Biases to Gender-Inclusive Design: An Empirical Investigation.
- Nov. 2018: I'm an ACM Distinguished Speaker again. If you would like me to give a talk on gender-inclusive software (and you meet ACM's other criteria), ACM will pay for my airfare to do so.
- July 2018: GenderMag-Teach just launched a Google Group, for sharing and community on how to integrate GenderMag into your CS class. To join in, click the link.
- June 1: GenderMag meets OpenSource tools: come see Chris Mendez give his talk about our results at ICSE, last talk in the 11:00-12:30 session, room J2.
- May 29: Here are my Advising and Supervising Students slides from my ICSE New Faculty Symposium presentation.
- May 2018: Exciting news! Both graduate student Chris Mendez and REU student Alannah Oleson won NSF Graduate Fellowships this year! Congratulations to both!
- Feb 2018: New! We've just launched our "Teaching GenderMag" educators' community site.
- Feb 2018: Here's the recording of the DUB talk on Gender-Inclusive Software I gave earlier this month. This is now the most up-to-date video on the GenderMag method.
- Feb 2018: The NSF Science360 radio is featuring the "Engineering Out Loud" interview on GenderMag.
- Dec. 2017: I'm now an ACM Fellow!
Bio, Research, and Interests
Margaret Burnett is an OSU Distinguished Professor at Oregon State University. She began her career in industry, where she was the first woman software developer ever hired at Procter & Gamble Ivorydale. A few degrees and start-ups later, she joined academia, with a research focus on people who are engaged in some form of software development.
She was the principal architect of the
Forms/3 and FAR visual programming languages,
and co-founded the area of end-user software engineering, which aims to improve software for computer users that are not trained in programming.
She pioneered the use of information foraging theory in the domain of software debugging, and leads the team that created GenderMag, a software inspection process that uncovers gender inclusiveness issues in software from spreadsheets to programming environments.
Burnett is an ACM Fellow, a member of the ACM CHI Academy,
and an award-winning mentor.
She currently serves on three editorial boards, and has served in over 50 conference organization and program committee roles.
She is also on the Academic Alliance Advisory Board
of the National Center for Women In Technology (NCWIT).
Upcoming Presentations and Events
You can hear
about some of the projects I've been working on lately at one of these events:
This year I'm teaching:
- CS 468/568: (HCI 2) Inclusive Design with Personas. MWF 9:00-9:50. This course is offered every year. Here is last year's version.
Recently, I've also taught:
My Summer office hours will be:
- Thurs 7/11, 3:00-3:50
- Thurs 7/25, 3:00-3:50
- Thurs 8/1, 3:00-3:50
- Thurs 8/8, 2:00-2:50
- Thurs 8/29, 4:00-4:50
- Thurs 9/5, 3:00-3:50
- Thurs 9/12, 3:00-3:50
Graduate Student Mentoring
Here are my current graduate students and postdocs:
Andrew Anderson (Ph.D.), Brijesh Bhuva (M.S.), Rupika Dikkala (M.S.), Jon Dodge (Ph.D.), Chris Mendez (Ph.D.),
Sruti Srinivasa Ragavan (Ph.D.)
Recently graduated: Claudia Hilderbrand (M.S.), Charles Hill (M.S.), Bhargav Pandya (M.S.), Sean Penney (M.S.),
David Piorkowski (Ph.D.).
Last modified: Sept. 10, 2019