Re: Distribution of states in differential eq. w/ random coeffs. ?

Scott Ferson (scott@ramas.com)
Mon, 21 Sep 1998 18:29:20 -0400

If you're interested in the discrete-time case at all, there
are a lot of useful results by Tuljapurkar (1990). For
instance, for deterministic x(0), the distribution of x(t) is
asymptotically multivariate lognormal and nicely behaved in
other ways if the largest absolute value of the eigenvalue of
exp(A* delta t) is positive and real (as it will be for
nonnegative A and x). This would probably hold for uncertain
x(0) as well so long as the uncertainty in A were dominating.

We talking about A varying through time of course. If you
think of A as merely being uncertain rather than really
fluctuating, the formulation could be quite different I
suppose.

Reference:
Tuljapurkar, S. 1990. Population Dynamics in Variable
Environments. Lecture Notes in Biomathematics 85.
Springer-Verlag, NY.

Scott Ferson <scott@ramas.com>
Applied Biomathematics, 516-751-4350, fax -3435