Re: Spirtes et al's book

Denver Dash (ddash@mail.sis.pitt.edu)
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 16:51:24 -0500

Rich Neapolitan wrote:

> I've heard that Spirtes, Glymour, and Scheines book `Causation,Prediction,
> and Chance' is available free to download from somewhere. If so, does
> anyone know where? Also, is there's or anyone's causal learning system
> available free for student use?
> Thanks,
> Rich

Yeah, the title is "Causation, Prediction, and Search" that may
explain why you couldn't find it if you did a web search. The link
is:

http://hss.cmu.edu/html/departments/philosophy/TETRAD.BOOK/book.html

As far as available software, there's probably alot available. Two
that I know of offhand are below:

Bayda, a naive bayesian classifier:
http://www.cs.Helsinki.FI/research/cosco/Projects/NONE/SW/

Bayesian Knowledge Discoverer, a more general bayesian learner
(structure and parameters):
http://kmi.open.ac.uk/projects/bkd/

Both of these programs use a bayesian approach for learning. I don't
know of any free software using the constraint-based (i.e. the
techniques used in Causation, Predicition, and Search) approach.

Best Regards,
Denver.

--
Denver Dash                     (http://www.sis.pitt.edu/~ddash)