Re: Total Ignorance

Kathryn Blackmond Laskey (klaskey@gmu.edu)
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 11:08:01 -0400

Thank you, Jonathan, for a very clear example.

Bel(R) corresponds to the probability that a person's hat-and-glasses
status "proves" his/her prize status. In other words, without knowing
anything about the gender proportions or their relationship to hats and
glasses, but knowing only that hat-wearing and glasses-wearing are
independent, for 72% of the people, we can "prove" they will get a prize
without regardless of their gender. Another way of looking at this is that
for 72% of the people, having a sex change operation while leaving the
glasses and the hat as they are, would leave their prize status invariant.
Similarly, 98% of the people can be "proven" not to get a prize regardless
of counterfacutal manipulation of their gender.

While semantically meaningful (if a bit mind-contorting) this is hardly
something one would care about for this problem.

Can we find an example where someone might care about these 72% and 98%
bounds? What if we recast this example in Judea's room-scheduling or Rolf's
argumentation system domain? If we can do this, it might help us to
characterize the set of problems for which belief functions are
appropriate. It might also give us a handle on whether the extra formalism
has practical value to balance the danger of producing nonsense with a
mathematical penache.

Here's a stab. We are trying to schedule classrooms.

All daytime engineering classes are scheduled in Building A.
All daytime liberal arts classes are scheduled in Building B.
All evening undergraduate classes are scheduled in Building A.
All evening graduate classes are scheduled in Building B.

90% of the daytime classes are engineering. 80% of the evening classes are
undergraduate.

To get the 72% and 98% bounds, assume that whether a class is engineering
or liberal arts is independent of whether it is graduate or undergraduate.

Now for 72% of the classes, we can "prove" just from whether they are
engineering/liberal arts and undergraduate/graduate, that they will be in
Building A. In other words, moving them from daytime to evening or vice
versa wouldn't change the building assignment. For 98% of the classes we
can "prove" they are in Building B, and this couldn't be changed by
manipulating the time of day.

I guess if there were reasons for the above constraints on building
assignments, and if the time assignment was flexible, this might be
something that was useful to know. You would know that you had only
limited latitude to change the building assignment by manipulating time of
day.

It seems, then, that the "probability of provability" interpretation ties
belief functions to counterfactuals. Bel(R) and Pl(R) are bounds on the
probability of R that could be achieved by manipulating Q but in a way that
leaves unchanged the causal mechanism by which Q causes R. The problem
with the party example is that it doesn't make semantic sense to think
about manipulating the gender of a person while leaving his/her hat status
unchanged. So uncritical application of belief functions to that problem
produces bounds that are not useful for anything one would care about.

Whether the bounds given by belief functions have meaning one would care
about would seem in this example to depend on the following structural
assumptions:

- Q (in this case, day/evening) is "causal" to R (in this case, building
assignment) in the sense that manipulating Q changes R.
- A1 (in this case, engineering/liberal arts) and A2 (in this case,
undergraduate/graduate) are factors that influence the manner in which Q
and not-Q, respectively, cause R.
- The bounds of .72 and .98 depend on the assumption of independence of A1
and A2. This assumption is not necessary for belief functions to apply.
As I stated previously, one can different belief functions with the same
conditional beliefs by changing the dependence structure of A1 and A2.
However, independence is typically assumed by practitioners with (I
believe) insufficient understanding of what this assumption means.

Unfortunately, in practice belief functions are often applied to all sorts
of problems for which the probability of provability interpretation is
problematic or outright inappropriate. Its inappropriateness was why I
dropped my attempts to use belief functions to model inference about
friendly/hostile aircraft.

Examining this example in detail reminds me of why I came away in the late
80's convinced that uncritical application of belief functions to problems
of "incomplete information" was a dangerous "easy way out" of certain hard
modeling problems one can run into. Using belief functions because you
don't know how to model your ignorance "solves" one problem only to create
a new problem of hidden modeling assumptions that most modelers (let alone
subject matter experts) don't fully understand. You can turn the crank and
get an answer without having to specify a prior for those pesky variables
you feel ignorant about. The price you pay is that the applicability of
your answer to the problem depends on assumptions whose implications you
probably wouldn't accept if you understood them. I'd rather make my
assumptions upfront and take responsibility for them, rather than bury them
inside the black box of my calculus.

Kathy Laskey