[UAI] Philosophy and Probability International Summer School

From: Luc Bovens (bovens@spot.colorado.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 10:08:22 PDT

    CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

    Philosophy and Probability
    International Summer School
    University of Konstanz, Germany
    September 15-22, 2002

    No area of analytical philosophy has remained impervious to probability
    theory over the last decade. Metaphysicians share an interest in
    probabilistic causation with statisticians and computer scientists,
    philosophers of science construct Bayesian analyses of many of the
    standard puzzles in their field, political philosophers are being
    informed by work in rational choice theory, and even philosophers of
    religion are constructing probabilistic analyses of the argument of evil.
    And yet, the curricula of many philosophy departments have remained
    resistant to change and have not incorporated this new development at
    their own peril. We have invited Branden Fitelson (Stanford University,
    USA), Alan H=E1jek (California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, USA),
    Christian List (Nuffield College, University of Oxford, UK) and Jon
    Williamson (King's College London, UK), who are leading experts in the
    area of philosophy of probability, to come to teach during the summer
    school in the University of Konstanz. Topics covered include the role of
    probability in confirmation theory and epistemology, alternative
    interpretations of probability and the meaning of conditional
    probability, the role of probability and causation in artificial
    intelligence, and probability in social choice and democratic theory. We
    will start with an introductory lecture on probability for those who are
    in need of a refresher course. The intended audience of the summer school
    is advanced undergraduate students and graduate students of philosophy
    and related fields.

    We will also reserve some time slots for students who would like to make
    a presentation of their own research. Please indicate if you wish to do
    so in your application letter.
    To apply to the summer school, please send us an e-mail explaining why
    you are interested in participating and attach a short CV. The
    application deadline is June 7. We will let you know whether you have
    been accepted before June 14. The tuition fee is Euro 100 for early
    registration (before July 15) and Euro 125 for on-site registration. The
    costs for accommodation and travel are additional. We will facilitate
    accommodation arrangements. For details concerning the application
    procedure, visit the summer school's URL:
    http://www.uni-konstanz.de/struktur/zwn/summerschool2002/

    The summer school is being hosted by the research group
    Philosophy, Probability and Modeling" in the University of
    Konstanz and organized by Luc Bovens (University of Colorado at Boulder),
    Stephan Hartmann (University of Konstanz) and Nils Hesse (University of
    Konstanz).

    The summer school is supported by the Center for Junior Research Fellows
    of the University of Konstanz and by a Sofja Kovalevskaja Award of the
    Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, the Federal Ministry of Education and
    Research and the Programme for Investment in the Future (ZIP) of the
    German Government.

    Luc Bovens
    Associate Professor
    University of Colorado