[UAI] [CFP] RAS Special Issue on Anchoring Symbols to Sensor Data

From: Alessandro Saffiotti (asaffio@aass.oru.se)
Date: Wed Jan 09 2002 - 09:51:04 PST

      Robotics and Autonomous Systems journal

      Special issue on: Anchoring Symbols to Sensor Data
      in Single and Multiple Robot Systems

    The anchoring problem is an important aspect of the connection between
    symbolic and sensory based processes in autonomous robotic systems.
    Anchoring is the problem of how to create, and to maintain in time, the
    connection between the symbol- and the signal-level representations of the
    same physical object.

    Most current solutions to the anchoring problem are developed on a system
    by system basis for restricted domains. This is unfortunate, since having
    a general theory of anchoring would greatly advance our ability to build
    intelligent embedded systems, and to transfer techniques and results
    across different systems. The aim of this special issue is to collect
    relevant pieces of work that can be instrumental in building such a
    theory.

    We solicit original papers which report novel contributions to the
    analysis and the solution of the anchoring problem in autonomous robots.
    We especially encourage papers that present techniques which have been
    experimentally validated on real single or multiple robot systems. Papers
    of a more theoretical nature reporting strong fundamental results will
    also be considered. Submissions will be peer reviewed for scientific and
    presentation quality, and for relevance to this special issue.

    - Detailed information: http://www.aass.oru.se/Agora/RAS02/
    - Guest editors: S. Coradeschi and A. Saffiotti
    - Submission deadline: March 1, 2002

    Apologies for cross-posting. Please forward this announcement to all
    those who might be interested. Thank you.