[UAI] for American women undergrads

From: Judy Goldsmith (goldsmit@cs.uky.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 08:00:51 PST

    I am looking for a couple of students for this summer, through
    this program. It is for American (citizen or resident alien)
    women undergraduates at American universities.

    } FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    } January 7, 2001
    }
    } APPLICATIONS DUE FEBRUARY 15 FOR MENTOR AND STUDENT PARTICIPANTS IN
    } CRA-W's DISTRIBUTED MENTOR PROJECT 2002
    }
    } Contact: Nancy Amato, Texas A&M University, amato@cs.tamu.edu, 979-862-2275
    }
    } The Computing Research Association (CRA) Committee on the Status of
    } Women in Computing Research (CRA-W) is accepting applications through
    } February 15 from both students and mentors for CRA-W's Distributed
    } Mentor Project 2002. The objective of this project is to increase the
    } number of women entering studies in the fields of computer science
    } and engineering. Complete application details are available on the
    } CRA-W Website at http://cra.org/Activities/craw/dmp/.
    }
    } The Distributed Mentor Project brings together computer science and
    } engineering undergraduates and professors for a summer of research at
    } the mentor's research institution. Students will be involved in
    } projects with successful researchers, learn how a research university
    } operates, and interact with graduate students and professors. This
    } experience is invaluable for students who are considering applying to
    } graduate school.
    }
    } Through a multi-year evaluation, past participants have indicated
    } that the Distributed Mentor Project has been valuable to them in
    } their careers. One participant stated, "That was my first exposure
    } to research; I not only learned a lot, but ended up with something
    } well worth working for and useful for the project I participated in.
    } I learned how to work for resources, revived my self-confidence, and
    } ENJOYED what I did. I had never before realized how much I would
    } enjoy doing research and working with people who were doing research,
    } and believe this experience came at the right moment in my life to
    } give me specific direction for my future goals."
    }
    } Primary criteria for selection are:
    }
    } 1) The match between the student's experience and skills and the
    } needs of the participating researcher/mentor's research project.
    }
    } 2) The student's potential for success in graduate school, as
    } indicated by her record and recommendations.
    }
    } 3) The student's potential gain from the experience (e.g., students
    } at institutions unable to offer research opportunities with
    } professors).
    }
    } 4) The potential that the student's participation will advance the
    } goals of the mentor program.
    }
    } The CRA-W Distributed Mentor Project is supported by a grant from the
    } National Science Foundation, and by the NSF's Partnerships for
    } Advanced Computational Infrastructure Education, Outreach, and
    } Training program, http://www.eot.org.
    }
    } The goals of the Computing Research Association Committee on the
    } Status of Women in Computer Science and Engineering Research (CRA-W)
    } are to take positive action to increase the success of women
    } participating in computer science and engineering research and
    } education at all levels and to improve the working environment for
    } computer scientists and engineers of both genders. CRA-W is funded
    } by the National Science Foundation and corporate sponsors. For more
    } information, see http://www.cra.org/craw.
    }
    } The Computing Research Association is an association of more than 180
    } North American academic departments of computer science and computer
    } engineering; laboratories and centers in industry, government, and
    } academia engaging in basic computing research; and affiliated
    } professional societies.