CS411/511. Operating Systems

Maillist Archive, Spring 1999

Mail Index [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

Note about Question 4B on test

Some folks have asked about my marking off "page fault" as an example of
a trap -- and then my scratching it out and putting "OK."

A page fault is an *interrupt* (not a trap), since it's generated by the
DAT hardware.  However, the book, in one silly sentence at the bottom of
page 293, calls it a "trap" and says "The paging hardware ... causing a
trap to the operating system."

Of course, any signal coming from hardware is an interrupt, not a trap.
But since the book used the word "trap" in association with page fault,
I didn't want to count it wrong on the test.