CS411/511. Operating Systems

Maillist Archive, Spring 1999

Mail Index [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

Re: aging and direction

> In your survival hint, you said, "Be sure you get this one really clean
> before you try to add the aging mechanism". In C-LOOK there is a
> possibility of starvation, while N-STEP C-LOOK is less unfair. I am not
> sure in which scheduling algorithm we should add the aging mechanism, and
> how to implement it.

N-Step C-LOOK is the aging mechanism, we don't intend you to do anything
more than that.  Just think about whether a request can starve under
C-LOOK or under N-Step C-LOOK.

> The other question is when we implement C-LOOK and N-STEP C-LOOK, do we
> ourselves have to select a direction, in which the disk-head moves without
> serving.

Yes, you have to select the direction.

Keith D. Vertanen                  "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
Oregon State University	             There is no cure for curiosity."
vertanen@cs.orst.edu	                       -Ellen Parr
www.cs.orst.edu/~vertanen