Current Research Projects
- Characterizing silver nanoparticle toxicity towards Nitrosomonas europaea: Understanding the risk posed by nanotechnology to nitrification in engineered and natural systems.
- Enhancing methane production in wastewater anaerobic digesters through the co-digestion of fats, oils and grease (FOG).
- Investigating the development of antibiotic resistance in environmental bacteria exposed to environmental concentrations of pharmaceuticals.
Completed Research Projects
- Determining the ecotoxicity of oil dispersants and the resulting dispersed oil in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Creation of nitrification inhibition biosensors: Identification of 'sentinel genes' to indicate the presence of heavy metals and aromatic hydrocarbons.
- Probing the global gene expression patterns of unsequenced microorganisms: The creation of a novel shotgun DNA microarray.