I am an assistant professor at the School of Electrical Engineering & Computer Science of the Oregon State University.
I did my PhD in the Department of Computer Science at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
under the supervision of Professor Marianne Winslett.
In my group, we create large scale systems with principled foundations that help users to explore, analyze, and manage huge volumes of data easily, effectively, and efficiently.
We tackle problems in the areas of big data, data management, and data mining.
I am looking for motivated and talented graduate and undergraduate students to work on exciting and influential projects. If you are interested, please
contact me .
Arash Termehchy, Ali Vakilian, Yodswalai Chodpathumwan, and Marianne Winslett, "Which Concepts Are Worth Extracting? ",
Proceedings of the ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data (SIGMOD'14), 2014. (full paper, to appear)
Jose Picado, Arash Termehchy, and Alan Fern, "Schema Independence of Learning Algorithms ",
The First ACM SIGMOD Workshop on Big Uncertain Data, 2014, to appear.
Yodswalai Chodpathumwan, Arash Termehchy, Yizhou Sun, Amirhossein Aleyasin, and Jose Picado, "Toward Representation Independent Similarity Search Over Graphs ",
The Second ACM SIGMOD Workshop on Graph Data Management Experiences and Systems, 2014, to appear.
Chen Shiwen,Arash Termehchy, and Vagelis Hristidis, "Efficient Prediction of Difficult Keyword Queries over Databases ",
IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE), 2014.
Chen Shiwen, Arash Termehchy, and Vagelis Hristidis, "Predicting the Effectiveness of Keyword Queries on Databases ",
Proceedings of the 21th ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management
(CIKM'12), 2012. (full paper, 13.5% acceptance)
Arash Termehchy, Marianne Winslett, Yodswalai Chodpathumwan, and Austin Gibbons, "Schema Independent Query Interfaces ", IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE),
Special Issue on the Best Papers of ICDE 2011, 2012.
- Arash Termehchy, Marianne Winslett, and Yodsawalai Chodpathumwan, "How Schema Independent are Schema Free Query Interfaces?",
Proceedings of the 27th IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE'11), pages 649-660, 2011. Best Student Paper Award (full paper, 19.8% acceptance), Teaser Slide .
- Arash Termehchy and Marianne Winslett, "Using Structural Information in XML Keyword Search Effectively",
ACM Transactions on Database Systems (TODS), Volume 36, Issue 1, March 2011.
- Arash Termehchy and Marianne Winslett, "EXTRUCT: Using Deep Structural Information in
XML Keyword Search", Proceedings of the VLDB Endowment, PVLDB, Volume 3, Number 2, pages 1593-1596, September 2010.
(demo paper, 36% acceptance)
- Arash Termehchy and Marianne Winslett, "Keyword Search for
Data-Centric XML Collections with Long Text Fields",
Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Extending
Database Technology (EDBT'10), pages 537-548, 2010. (full paper, 18% acceptance)
- Arash Termehchy and Marianne Winslett, "Effective, Design
Independent XML Keyword Search", Proceedings of the 18th
ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management
(CIKM'09), pages 107-116, 2009. (full paper, 14.5% acceptance)
- Rishi R. Sinha, Arash Termehchy, Marianne Winslett,
Soumyadeb Mitra, and John Noris, "Maitri: A Format-Independent Framework for Managing
Large Scale Scientific Data", Proceedings of the Third Biennial on
Innovative Data Systems Research (CIDR'07), pages 219-224, 2007. (extended
Selected Honors and Awards
Program Committee Member/ Review Board: PVLDB 2013 - 2015
Program Committee Member: SSDBM 2013, ICDE 2013 , ESAIR Workshop - CIKM 2012
Invited Reviewer: IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE),
Information Systems ,
ACM Transactions on Internet Technology (TOIT),
Information Processing and Management (IPM),
IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Part B: Cybernetics .
External Conference Reviewer (selected list): SIGMOD 2009, SIGMOD 2008, VLDB 2009, VLDB 2007, WWW 2009, SSDBM 2009, SSDBM 2008, ISWC 2007.
I have also mentored the following graduate and undergraduate students:
- Jose Picado, PhD
- Vahid Ghadakchi, PhD
- Yodsawalai Chodpathumwan, PhD (co-advised with Marianne Winslett)
- Amirhossein Alyasin, MS (co-advised with Marianne Winslett)
- Austin Gibbons, UIUC, next position: MS student at Stanford University.
- Soravit Changpinyo , Brown University, next position: PhD student at USC.
- Ali Vakilian, UIUC, next position: PhD student at MIT.
- Yodsawalai Chodpathumwan, UIUC, next position: PhD student at UIUC.
- Di Xu, Purdue University, next position: MS student at CMU.
- Pooja Jain, UIUC, next position: MS student at UIUC.
- Adarsh Prasad, IIT Delhi.
- Prachi Jain, IIT Delhi.
- CS 519: Topics in Big Data Exploration (Spring 2014)
- CS 540: Advanced Database Management Systems (Winter 2014)
- CS 440: Database Management Systems (Winter 2013, Winter 2014)