Information for New and Prospective Students
To work in my group, you should have the
- Strong preparation in mathematics: Linear Algebra, Numerical
Linear Algebra, Vector Calculus.
- Strong preparation in probability and statistics: Basic
Probability Theory, Graphical Probabilistic Models (Bayesian
- Strong programming background and experience in C++, JAVA, Lisp,
MATLAB, Mathematica, or R/SPlus as well as knowledge of advanced data
- Experience with optimization algorithms: Linear and quadratic
programming, convex optimization, gradient descent search and the
conjugate-gradient method, Newton's method, etc.
- Other useful background includes image processing, computer
graphics, computational geometry, geographic information systems,
Prospective students interested in a research assistantship should
email me a letter that describes their background, experience, and
research goals. Please also include a list of the courses you have
taken (and grades received) and a resume. Attach copies of any papers
that you have published in English.
Tom Dietterich, email@example.com