- 1 lb of mascarpone cheese
- 14 oz of Lady Fingers
- 6 eggs (preferably brown)
- 5 spoons of sugar
- 1.5 cups of strong coffee (preferably expresso)
- 0.5 cup of Marsala wine
- 4 oz of semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/3 cup of cocoa powder
- Separate egg yolks from whites.
- Make a zabaglione in a bowl by mixing egg yolks and sugar with a whisk.
- Add the mascarpone and stir until the mixture is homogeneous and creamy.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Add the egg whites to the zabaglione, a few spoonfuls at a time, by stirring gently.
- Mix coffee and Marsala in a separate bowl.
- Quickly dip Lady Fingers (both sides) in it, one at a time.
- In the serving dish (e.g., a 13 x 9 x 2 in. Pyrex oven pan) put approximately 1/3 of the cream and even it out with a spatula; then add a layer of soaked Lady Fingers, another even layer of cream, and another layer of soaked Lady Fingers; top with the last layer of cream and even it out with the spatula.
- Sprinkle cocoa powder on top through a sifter.
- Crumble chocolate and sprinkle it on top too.
- Refrigerate for several hours before serving (better if prepared the day before).