dissertation announcement

From: David Pennock (dpennock@research.nj.nec.com)
Date: Tue Jan 04 2000 - 13:32:16 PST

    I am pleased to announce the electronic availability of my dissertation
    (postscript, 1.9MB, 140 pages) :

    http://www.neci.nj.nec.com/homepages/dpennock/papers/thesis.ps

    TITLE: Aggregating Probabilistic Beliefs: Market Mechanisms and
    Graphical Representations

    Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Michigan, 1999
    David M. Pennock

    ABSTRACT

    A long-standing question in statistics is how best to aggregate the
    probabilistic beliefs of multiple agents. Related is the practical
    question of how to represent the combined beliefs efficiently. This
    dissertation reports contributions on both fronts.

    First, I formulate and analyze a securities market mechanism for
    aggregating beliefs. Equilibrium prices in the market are interpreted as
    consensus beliefs. Under homogeneity conditions regarding agents'
    utilities, the market mechanism corresponds with standard aggregation
    functions, and the market's outward behavior is indistinguishable from
    that of a rational individual. I also explore extensions to the model in
    which agents learn from prices and the market as a whole adapts over
    time. In certain circumstances, price fluctuations can be viewed as the
    Bayesian updates of an individual.

    Second, I investigate the use of graphical models, and in particular
    Bayesian networks, for representing aggregate beliefs. I derive two
    impossibility theorems which contradict widely held intuitions about how
    Bayesian networks should be combined. On a more positive note, the
    so-called logarithmic opinion pool is shown to admit relatively concise
    encodings. I describe the nature of graphical structures consistent with
    this pooling function, and give algorithms for computing the logarithmic
    and linear opinion pools with, in some cases, exponential speedups over
    standard methods.

    Finally, I apply and extend the graphical modeling results to the market
    framework, deriving sufficient conditions for compact markets to be
    operationally complete. Such markets still induce a complete consensus
    distribution and support Pareto optimal allocations of risk, but with
    exponentially fewer securities than required for traditional
    completeness.

    My new coordinates are:

    NEC Research Institute
    4 Independence Way