[UAI] April 30 Cardozo/NYC symposium on AI & judicial proof: discussion problem

From: Peter Tillers (tillers@tiac.net)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 07:42:19 PST

    Dear Friends in the Study of Artificial Intelligence and Judicial Proof:

    The April 30 symposium on artificial intelligence and judicial proof is
    approaching. See http://www.cardozo.yu.edu/cardlrev &
    http://www.tiac.net/users/tillers (about the middle of the page).
    Several panelists felt that viva voce discussion at the symposium would
    be both more vivacious and focused if the participants in the symposium
    were given a "test case" in advance that they could use on April 30 to
    discuss the merits and and demerits of alternative possible procedures
    for assessing evidence. I have tried to construct such a hypothetical case.

    The hypothetical situation described further below is the kind of case
    or problem that I tend to think about when I ponder the structure and
    properties of evidentiary processes associated with litigation. Please
    see whether you think the case I describe below might serve as a vehicle
    for discussion of the merits and demerits of different ways of analyzing
    or handling evidentiary and inferential processes associated with
    litigation and, in particular, for discussion of "artificial
    intelligence and judicial proof." I will not add any editorial comments
    here to my hypothetical case; i.e., I will not add any comments here
    that explain why the below problem has the properties that I think it
    does. I have already spoken on other occasions, and at some length,
    about the properties of the types of problems that interest me. If you
    feel that my hypothetical case is an inappropriate vehicle for
    discussion, please do not hesitate to say so. But if you do say so, I
    think it would help me and perhaps other people better understand your
    position & your approach if you were to explain _why_ the hypothetical
    case I have constructed is inapt. (If you wish, you can make your
    coments about the case at the symposium itself rather than in advance.
    But if the case I pose is completely wanting, you might consider posing
    a case or problem yourself and distributing it to the participants in
    the symposium in advance.)

    The version of the hypothetical case found below has been put together
    rather quickly (in about 30 minutes!). So if the problem is not as
    well-crafted as it might be, I beg your forgiveness in advance.
    (However, please also bear in mind that much of the vagueness of the
    case described below is entirely _deliberate_.)

    Sincerely yours,

    Peter Tillers
    Professor of Law
    Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law
    Yeshiva University
    55 Fifth Avenue
    New York, New York 10003
    U.S.A.

    (212) 790-0334 (office)
    FAX (212) 790-0205, (212) 790-0301

    tillers@ymail.yu.edu & tillers@tiac.net & ptillers@earthlink.net

    P.S. I think the hypothetical case found below _is_ a problem in (of)
    "judicial proof." My opinion on this point reflects or presupposes
    various other opinions or beliefs, such as the belief that (i)
    investigation is part of proof, (ii) legal rules are an ingredient of
    forensic investigation & proof, (iii) investigation and proof involve
    the making of decisions, (iv) etc. If you think I have thrown too many
    maters into the pot, please feel free to say so!

    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

    Grist for Your Preferred Mode of Analysis:
    A Hypothetical Case

    Your name is Able Attorney. Your nickname is Slick. You are a lawyer.
    You work in Middletown, Middle State, U.S.A. The date is October 5,
    1999. The time is 8:45 a.m. You have just arrived in your office. Just
    then Dale, your legal secretary, ushers Peter Plaintiff into your
    office. Dale explains that Peter has asked to see you. You are
    irritated; you haven't had a chance to drink your coffee, check your
    phone for messages, or consider whether you even want to see Peter.
    Nonetheless, you say, "I'm very glad to meet you, Peter. You don't mind
    if I call you Peter, do you? How can I help you?" Peter tells you that
    he wants to explore the possibility of bringing a personal injury action
    against the owner of a "convenience" store. You ask Peter for details.

    Peter tells you that he was shot in the head by a clerk at a "Happy
    Valley" store in Madison City, in Middle State, a few months ago. He
    explains that he thinks that the clerk who shot him was either
    negligent, reckless, or malevolent. Peter adds, "I personally lean
    toward the malevolence hypothesis. I know that clerk. He's a vicious
    s.o.b. His name is Harry. His nickname is Dirt. And that's no accident."

    You ask Peter for further details. He tells you that he went to the
    Happy Valley store on the night of April 1, 1999. He says that he
    remembers entering the store at 10:45 p.m. He also vividly remembers
    seeing a blinding flash immediately after entering the store. "The next
    thing I remember," Peter says, "is coming back to consciousness just as
    two white-coated men were carrying me out of the convenience store on a stretcher."

    Peter adds, "They took me to a hospital -- General Hospital -- where I
    stayed for about three months. When I got to the hospital that night,
    the doctors told me I had been shot in the head. They took me right into
    surgery. Later I had two more operations. I'll probably have several
    more. I hope you'll keep this in mind. I don't talk or think as well as
    I once did."

    You ask Peter, "What makes you think that the clerk at that store --
    Harry, was it? -- what makes you think that Harry was the guy who shot
    you? Did you see him shoot you?"

    Peter answers, "No, I didn't. But the local police told me that they
    suspect that Harry did the shooting."

    You ask, "Did they interview Harry? Did he confess?"

    Peter says, "I don't know for sure but I don't think so. The local
    newspaper reported that Harry disappeared after the shooting. I guess he fled."

    You ask, "Why would he have shot you?"

    Peter states, "I dunno. My guess is that he thought I was a robber and
    that he plugged me when I walked through the door that night."

    You say, "That's malicious?"

    Peter states, "Yeah, I think it was. Harry wasn't the kind of person who
    worried a lot about other people's welfare. He was kind of paranoid. He
    probably shot me because I wasn't walking right or because I was
    squinting my eyes. Who knows? But there's one thing I know for sure:
    Harry was a bad dude. He was bound to shoot somebody some day. Happy
    Valley Company had no business hiring him."

    You say, "What do you want me to do?"

    Peter states, "Well, I'm not sure. That's why I came to you. What do
    _you_ think we should do? Do you think we should sue Harry? Or maybe
    someone else? Happy Valley Company?"

    You say, "Whoa! I think we're getting ahead of ourselves. We've got to
    figure out whether you've got a case. And I've got to figure out whether
    I want to take your case."

    You think to yourself, "I wonder if I can trust this guy?"

    You say, "Look. There are any number of possibilities and problems here.
    My first problem is that you can't tell me everything I need to know.
    For example, I don't have enough information about why Harry shot you.
    My second problem is that I don't know enough about you or what you're
    after. And there are other things I've got to think about."

    You think to yourself, "Well, what should I do? Should I spend another
    30 minutes talking to this guy? Should I try to find Harry? Maybe I
    should slap a complaint together and take a deposition? But whose
    deposition? Heck, I don't even know the name or title of Peter's boss,
    and I don't know much about Happy Valley either. What's my theory?
    Perhaps respondeat superior {a legal doctrine making a "master" liable
    for certain acts of a "servant"}. But did Harry commit a crime? Or did
    _Peter_ commit a crime?"

    You then say, "Look, Peter. I'm not yet sure you've got a good case.
    I'll tell you what. You give me $1000 to look into the case a bit
    further. If I decide that your case isn't worth pursuing, I keep the
    $1000. If I decide that your case _is_ worth pursuing, I'll still keep
    the $1000. But if I do go ahead with your case and get a recovery for
    you, the $1000 will come out of my pocket. I work on a contingent fee
    basis. If I get a judgment or settlement for my client, I get 40%. You
    get 60%. The $1000 will come out of my 40%. But you pay courts costs as
    we go along. What do you say?"

    Peter falls silent for about 20 seconds and then states, "O.k. I'll give
    you a check. But look, just one thing: I'm a bit steamed at Happy
    Valley. It shouldn't have hired Harry. Shouldn't we make trouble for
    Happy Valley?"

    You say, "Well, if the case goes forward, we will. But look, Peter, your
    first concern is money. Don't worry about this revenge or just deserts stuff."

    Peter replies, "Well, I'd just feel a lot better if Harry and Happy
    Valley were made to feel my pain."

    ****

    Some questions for discussion & debate: What sort of problem does
    Attorney a/k/a Slick face? Does Slick's job or task involve evidence?
    What evidence does Slick have? What is it worth? What should he do with
    it? What evidence should he look for? What should Slick do with the
    case? What should Slick do next? Does Peter know what he wants? Is Peter
    telling the truth? The whole truth? Does it matter? Where is Harry?
    Should Slick's next step focus on Harry? On Peter? On Happy Valley? Can
    "artificial intelligence" help Slick? How?