Re: Calculating joint over arbitrary sets of variables

From: Bruce D'Ambrosio (dambrosi@CS.ORST.EDU)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2000 - 13:12:16 PST

    As described in my AIMag article last year, SPI (symbolic
    probabilistic inference) treats individual marginals as just a special
    case of the general optimization problem of finding efficient ways to
    compute arbitrary subjoints, and does a surprisingly good job at
    arbitrary subnjoints. Variable elimination should work also.

    The open research problem that no-one is working on (to my knowledge)
    is to find efficient ways of computing an arbitrary collection of arbitrary
    subjoints. No existing method seems to provide an interesting
    starting point for that problem.

    cheers - Bruce