Re: [UAI] Measures of dependence between random variables

From: Nathalie Jitnah (njitnah@cs.monash.edu.au)
Date: Thu May 25 2000 - 20:57:48 PDT

    Prakash

    my PhD thesis deals with the application of Mutual Information
    to determine the strength of dependencies between random
    variables in Bayesian networks. The thesis shows results of how
    BN evaluation algorithms can be optimied through the use of MI.
    So, if you're interested in applications, please look at
    http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~njitnah/Thesis/

    Nathalie

    > Judea Pearl wrote:
    > >
    > > Prakash,
    > > Shannon's mutual information has some nice and some
    > > peculiar properties, see pages 321-323, Probabilistic Reasoning
    > > (1988)
    > > ==========Judea
    > >
    > > To: uai@cs.orst.edu
    > > Subject: [UAI] Measures of dependence between random variables
    > > From: "Prakash P. Shenoy" <pshenoy@ukans.edu>
    > > Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 11:25:20 -0700
    > > Sender: owner-uai@cs.orst.edu
    > >
    > > Dear UAI colleagues,
    > >
    > > Could someone please point me to references on different measures of
    > > dependence between random variables? I am familiar with
    > > covariance/correlation coefficient that measures linear dependence between
    > > variables. What else is out there that is being used by the Bayes net
    > > learning community? Thanks in advance for the pointers.
    > >
    > > Prakash Shenoy
    > > <pshenoy@ukans.edu>

    - --
    Nathalie Jitnah, Research Fellow
    School of Computer Science and Software Engineering
    Monash University, Clayton, VIC 3800, Australia
    email: njitnah@csse.monash.edu.au, ph:+61 3 9905 5823, fax:+61 3 9905 5146

    ------- End of Forwarded Message