Re: [UAI] RE: Books

From: Scott Burgess (burgess@cs.orst.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 11:37:02 PDT

    > I'm starting a seminar at my company to acquaint beginning scientists with
    > various AI techniques. Can anyone recommend good introductory material on
    > any the following topics?
    >
    > Neural networks
    > Belief nets (the Pearl book is good but more advanced than we have in mind
    > for this setting)
    > Expert systems
    > Agents
    > Fuzzy logic
    >
    > Rachel Cunningham

    Sometimes an introductory article or two can help fill in the holes, start
    at an earlier (simpler) point, or provide a student with a different
    perspective or writing style that is easier to digest. A few worth
    suggesting here that focus on Bayesian inference include:

    [D'Ambrosio 99] D'Ambrosio, Bruce. "Inference in Bayesian Networks," in
    AI Magazine 20 (No. 2) (Summer 1999): 21-36.

    [Heckerman et al. 95] Heckerman, David and Michael P. Wellman. "Bayesian
    Networks," in Communications of the ACM 38 (3) (March 1995): 27-30.

    [Charniak 91] Charniak, Eugene. "Bayesian Networks Without Tears," in AI
    Magazine 12 (4) (Winter 1991): 50-63.

         enjoy,
            Scott Burgess

    ------- End of Forwarded Message