[UAI] CFP: special issue on computational logic in multi-agent systems

From: Ken Satoh (ksatoh@db-ei.eng.hokudai.ac.jp)
Date: Tue Jan 09 2001 - 11:18:34 PST

                                  Call for Papers

       for a Special Issue of Annals of Mathematics and Artificial Intelligence

                 on Computational Logic in Multi-Agent Systems

        Special Issue Editors: Juergen Dix, Fariba Sadri, Ken Satoh

          http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~dix/AMAI_SPECIAL/AMAI.html

    Multi-agent systems (MAS) have become an increasingly important area
    of research, not least because of the advances in the Internet and
    Robotics. However multi-agent systems can become very complicated,
    and, consequently, reasoning about the behaviour of such systems can
    become extremely difficult. Therefore, it is important to be able to
    formalise multi-agent systems and, to do so in such a way that allows
    automated reasoning about agents' behaviour. The purpose of this
    Special Issue is to present techniques, based on computational logic
    (CL), for reasoning about multi-agent systems in a formal way. This is
    clearly a major and exciting challenge for computational logic. We
    have to develop techniques to deal with real world issues and
    applications. We solicit papers that address CL-related formal
    approaches to multi-agent systems . The approaches as well as being
    formal must make a significant contribution to the practice of
    multi-agent systems. Relevant techniques include the following (but
    are not limited to):

       * Nonmonotonic reasoning in MAS
       * Planning in MAS
       * Adaptability and learning in MAS
       * Knowledge representation in MAS
       * Temporal reasoning in MAS
       * Negotiation, co-operation, competition and communication in MAS
       * Verification of MAS
       * Decision theory for MAS
       * Distributed problem solving in MAS
       * Significant applications of MAS

    Submission Details

    We are expecting full papers to describe original, previously
    unpublished research, be written in English, and not be simultaneously
    submitted for publication elsewhere (previous publication of partial
    results at workshops with informal proceedings is allowed).

    Papers should be formatted according to the Instructions for AMAI
    submissions (see below) and should be between 20 and 40 pages long:

       * http://www.baltzer.nl/amai/submit.html and
       * http://www.baltzer.nl/authors/

    We also require the following issues to be adressed:

     1. CL: An introduction that includes statements about how the paper
                 addresses
                 the exploitation of CL for MAS
     2. MAS : An explanation of which aspect/functionality of MAS the paper
                 formalises,

     3. Examples: Example(s) which give an intuitive motivation and explanation
                 of the formalisation.

    Please submit a PostScript or PDF file of your paper to
    dix@uni-koblenz.de by the 31st of January 2001.

    IMPORTANT DATES

    Papers Due on: January 31, 2001

    Author Notification: March 31, 2001