RE: [UAI] how to evaluate approximate algorithms when exact solution is not available?

From: SKAANNING,CLAUS (HP-Denmark,ex1) (claus_skaanning@hp.com)
Date: Tue May 15 2001 - 09:18:16 PDT

    The complexity of MCMC methods is linear in the number of
    variables. This is a well-known proven result. Some
    good references would be:

    Besag, J. (2000). Markov chain Monte Carlo for statistical inference.
    University of Washington, Seattle, USA. URL:
    http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/besag00markov.html.

    Geyer, C.J. (1992). Practical Markov chain Monte Carlo.
    Statistical Science, v. 7, no. 4, pp. 473-511.

    Gilks, W.R., Richardson, S. and Spiegelhalter, D.J. (eds) (1996).
    Markov chain Monte Carlo in practice. Chapman & Hall, London, UK.

    However, convergence of an MCMC method can rarely be proven
    when applied to large, complex Bayesian networks.

    To prove convergence, it is necessary to establish irreducibility
    of the Markov chain which means that it must be possible to reach
    any configuration from any other configuration. This is very
    hard to show for the single-site Gibbs sampler, for instance, where
    only one variable is changed at a time. It becomes slightly easier
    to handle for a blocked Gibbs sampler, where many variables can
    be changed in a single update.

    There is no general method for showing irreducibility, which
    makes it impossible to know whether an MCMC method converges on
    a given Bayesian network. I suspect that it is NP hard to do
    this, but as far as I know it hasn't been proven or disproven
    yet.

    There are cases where irreducibility is trivially fulfilled,
    e.g., when all prior and conditional probabilities are non-zero.
    This is called the positivity condition.

    Best regards,
    Claus

    ------- End of Forwarded Message