Re: [UAI] learning HMM structure

From: Daniel Upper (upper@peak.org)
Date: Wed Jun 13 2001 - 13:18:10 PDT

    Denver Dash,

    The traditional method for learning HMM structure is to use EM (known as
    Baum-Welsh or forward-backward in its HMM versions) to learn parameters for
    the HMM. Structure shows up in the transitions probabilities as non-zero
    probabilities for allowed transitions.

    Many of the papers are in speech recognition journals, apparently because
    HMMs first saw widespread use doing speech recognition. I believe these
    also have some discussion of metrics.

    Rabiner, L. R., "A tutorial on hidden Markov models and selected
    applications in speech recognition". Proceedings of the IEEE vol 77,
    pp 257-286, February 1989

    Juang, B. H., and Rabiner, L. R., "Hidden Markov Models for Speech
    Recognition", Technometrics, vol. 33, pp 251-272, August, 1991.

    It's worth noting that structure in an HMM can be deceptive. It is often
    the case that the same stochastic process can often be represented by more
    than one HMM, and the structures can be different. Belief about the future
    of the process is what's important, and the states of an HMM are best
    thought of merely as basis vectors with which to represent the space of
    belief states.

    My dissertation research was an attempt to create an algorithm from which
    learned HMMs from data by working from first principles. I could learn the
    transition-output probabilities as a function of belief state, but I couldn't
    have a way of choosing a basis which made all the probabilities positive.
    My dissertation is available at:
    http://www.santafe.edu/projects/CompMech/papers/TAHMMGHMM.html

    Dan Upper