Re: [UAI] Definition of Bayesian network

From: fvj@cs.auc.dk
Date: Sun Jul 29 2001 - 14:11:20 PDT

    [Moderator: My apologies, I made an error in approving the previous
    post. It was actually by Finn Jensen, fvj@cs.auc.dk. The post appears
    again below]

    Richard and others

    As I have been travelling for some time, I first now
    have noticed the interesting discussion on the
    definition of Bayesian networks.

    When writing my new book, "Bayesian networks and
    Decision Graphs" (which by the way is out this month -
    Springer-Verlag, New York) I had the same kind of
    problems. I tried to do it in a way requiring as little
    mathematical/theoretical sophistication as possible. I
    have not yet had the time to study the discussion, so
    my input may be out of line, but here is what I ended
    up doing in my book:

    Define a Bayesian network (over discrete variables) as
    a DAG with conditional probabilities attached (node
    given parents). State a theorem "Bayesian networks
    admit d-separation". Give hints and exercises
    indicating what a proof for this theorem could look
    like. Prove that the product of the potentials attached
    is the joint distribution for the universe. This prove
    only requires that a leaf node is indepenent of the
    rest given its parents.

    /Finn