Re: [UAI] Definition of a Bayesian Network

From: Andrzej Pownuk (pownuk@zeus.polsl.gliwice.pl)
Date: Wed Sep 26 2001 - 06:58:35 PDT

    Let us consider the set X of all people in the classroom.

    X = {Mary, John, Michael}

    Let us consider that topic F can be fully
    described using 8 question.
    For example students have to
    learn 8 different definitions.
    (Which are very simply to understand.)

    A teacher has made a test, which has contained eight questions:

    Do you know the fist definition? (q1F)
    Do you know the second definition? (q2F)
    Do you know the third definition? (q3F)
    Do you know the forth definition? (q4F)
    Do you know the fifth definition? (q5F)
    Do you know the sixth definition? (q6F)
    Do you know the seventh definition? (q7F)
    Do you know the eighth definition? (q8F)

    These are the results of the test

    Test F
           John Mary Michael
    q1F - 1 - 1 1
    q2F - 0 - 0 0
    q3F - 1 - 0 1
    q4F - 0 - 1 1
    q5F - 1 - 1 1
    q6F - 0 - 1 1
    q7F - 1 - 1 1
    q8F - 0 - 1 0

    The class-test score can be measured using the following function.

    m(John | F)=(number of John's correct answer in the test)/(number of
    questions)

    I think that THIS IS NOT PROBABILITY.
    (John know answer or not.
    This is objective fact that can be measured.
    In each test we get the same result.)
    We know the score with probability 1.

    We can see that

    m(John | F) = 4/8 = 1/2
    m(Mary | F) = 6/8 = 3/4
    m(Michael | F)=6/8= 3/4

    Let us assume that the topic H can be fully
    described using 4 questions.

    Test H
            John Mary Michael
    q1H - 1 - 1 1
    q2H - 0 - 0 0
    q3H - 1 - 0 1
    q4H - 1 - 1 0

    We can see that:
    m(John | H) = 3/4
    m(Mary | H) = 1/2
    m(Michael | H)=1/2

    Additionally we assume that
    q1F=q1H (the same questions)
    q2F=q2H (the same questions)
    q3F=q3H (the same questions)

    Now we can build the following tests
    F and H = the same questions in the test F and H = {q1F, q2F, q3F}={q1H,
    q2H, q3H}
    F or H = all questions in the tests F and H = {q1F, q2F, q3F, q4F, q5F,
    q6F, q7F, q8F, q4H}

    We can see that

    John F and H
    q1F 1
    q2F 0
    q3F 1

    m(John | F and H)= 2/3

    John F or H
    q1F 1
    q2F 0
    q3F 1
    q4F 0
    q5F 1
    q6F 0
    q7F 1
    q8F 0
    q4H 1

    m(John | F or H)= 5/9

    (We know that m(John | F)=1/2, m( John | H)=3/4)

    Michael F and H
    q1F 1
    q2F 0
    q3F 1

    m(Michael | F and H)= 2/3

    Michael F or H
    q1F 1
    q2F 0
    q3F 1
    q4F 1
    q5F 1
    q6F 1
    q7F 1
    q8F 0
    q4H 0

    m(Michael | F or H)= 6/9=2/3

    (we know that m(Michael | F)=3/4, m(Michael | H)=1/2)

    Mary F and H
    q1F 1
    q2F 0
    q3F 0

    m(Mary | F and H)= 1/3

    Mary F or H
    q1F 1
    q2F 0
    q3F 0
    q4F 1
    q5F 1
    q6F 1
    q7F 1
    q8F 1
    q4H 1

    m(Mary | F or H)= 7/9
    (we know that m(Mary | F)=1/2, m(Mary | H)=3/4)

    Fuzzy set F={0.5/John , 0.75/Marry, 0.75/Michael}
    Fuzzy set H={0.75/John , 0.5/Marry, 0.5/Michael}

    Fuzzy set (F and H) = {(2/3)/John , (1/3)/Marry, (2/3)/Michael}
    Fuzzy set (F or H) = {(5/9)/John , (7/9)/Marry, (2/3)/Michael}

    Conclusion

    We can see that in this calculation the axioms
    of t-noms and t-conorms are not satisfy.

    Could somebody tell me what is wrong in these calculations?

         Thanks for any help,

                 Andrzej Pownuk

    MSc. Andrzej Pownuk
    Chair of Theoretical Mechanics