Re: [UAI] UAI and double blind reviews

From: Alexander Dekhtyar (dekhtyar@cs.uky.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2001 - 18:39:32 PST

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Judy Goldsmith wrote:

    > In the structural complexity community, this idea is brought up once
    > in a while and dismissed. The community is small enough and tight
    > enough that people tend to know about papers (not all, but a significant
    > number) before they are submitted, and tend to recognize writing styles.
    > At best, blind reviewing would simply remind the reviewers that they
    > are supposed to be ignoring personal opinions about the authors. I guess
    > that community trusts its reviewers to do so without that form of
    > reminder.

     I would like to stress this point. Double-blind reviewing will be
    ineffective in hiding the identity of the authors in relatively small
    communities where the reviewers would most likely have heard of the
    previous work of the authors. IJCAI or SIGMOD are conferences that
    represent much larger communities than the UAI community, and there
    double blind reviewing is more justified and, perhaps, more effective.

     Double blind reviewing also somewhat disfavors papers that are followups
    of previously published work by the same researchers as no longer
    the "in our previous work we did ..." references are acceptable. Replacing
    with with "A and B did ... We extend this work ..." sometimes does not do
    enough to hide the identity of the authors.

    Alex

    --
    Alexander Dekhtyar                (859) 257 1839 (phone)