Re: [UAI] Mixed DBN propagation

From: Uri Lerner (uri@cs.stanford.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 12:35:33 PST

    Hi Todd,

    I had the same problem with Lauritzen's algorithm when I tried to use
    it, which led me to analyze the complexity of inference in such hybrid
    models. You may want to look at the paper:

    Inference in Hybrid Networks: Theoretical Limits and Practical
    Algorithms,
    Uri Lerner, Ronald Parr, Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence,
    Proceedings of the 17th Annual Conference on Uncertainty in Artificial
    Intelligence (UAI-01)

    The paper is available from my web page:
    http://robotics.stanford.edu/~uri/
    as well as from Ron Parr's page:
    http://www.cs.duke.edu/~parr/

    The short answer is that the problem of huge cliques cannot be avoided
    for networks such as the one you have. In the paper we prove the
    NP-hardness of the problem, not only for exact inference but also for
    approximate inference. Therefore if you force your cliques to be
    smaller, you will get only an approximate answer, which may be very
    different from the actual one.

    On a more encouraging note, the NP-hardness for approximate inference
    only applies to certain "worst-case" choices of the network parameters.
    Depending on the parameters of your actual problem, you may be able to
    come up with efficient approximate inference algorithms. One such
    algorithm, based on the observations that in many domains there are only
    a few likely assignments to the discrete variables while all other
    assignments are very unlikely apriori, appears in the paper. In
    particular, we found this to be a useful algorithm in the fault
    diagnosis domain, where it is very unlikely for many independent faults
    to happen simultaneously.

    Hope this helps.

    Cheers,
       Uri