[UAI] invitation [Chapter Proposals: Innovations in Decision Support Systems]

From: Lakhmi Jain (Lakhmi.Jain@unisa.edu.au)
Date: Sun Feb 24 2002 - 19:37:47 PST

    Invitation
    CHAPTER PROPOSALS ARE INVITED

    Dear Colleagues,

    We are in the process of editing a book on:

    Innovations in Decision Support Systems

    Editors: Tonfoni and Jain

    Decision support systems facilitate the decision making process for most
    effective outcome in the many areas including healthcare, business, planning,
    defence, and so on. We spend a large section of our resources in knowledge
    acquisition, knowledge representation and knowledge processing for making
    intelligent decisions. Intelligent reasoning techniques can offer (tremendous)
    advantages in making optimised decisions.

    The book is aimed toward clarifying first the very concept of innovation as for
    what it really means today in a continuously changing set up where technologies
    require a continuous effort in learning and coping with constant instability
    and uncertainty. Reflections upon continuously changing conditions on cognitive
    abilities will also be explored and notions such as "amplification brought in
    by new technologies" as well as "simplified models of reasoning triggering
    oversimplistic reasoning patterns" will also be carefully analised.

    Specific attention will be paid as to redefine the meaning of the same title:
    the very same concept of support in making decisions needs in fact to be fully
    reconsidered in the light of a few cases examined. The fundamental role of
    complex reasoning performed by human decision makers in need to grasp most
    relevant information fast and accurately will also be illustrated.

    The proposals in all relevant topics are invited.

    This book will contain chapters, which are based on the theory and successful
    applications of decision support systems including but not limited to:

    * An introduction to decision support systems
    * Decision support systems in health care
    * Decision support systems in telemedicine
    * Decision support systems in traffic control
    * Decision support systems in defence
    * Decision support systems in business
    * Decision support systems in education
    * Decision support systems in aerospace applications
    The main idea is not necessarily to cover all of these areas but rather to
    indicate and discuss how some of the applications illustrated may be
    reconfigured and made better in the light of results achieved and cased
    analysed.

    The message is learning by observing some limits and failures and consequently
    try coping with that in most constructive ways so that new scenarios may be
    opened up.

    Please give special attention to problems such as continuous change or the so
    called innovation affecting performance and undermining sense of individual
    responsibility and motivation.

    Questions such as how does the individual decision maker or team react to
    packaged and prepackaged advice and does he/she feel really responsible and in
    control should be also addressed.
    And who controls what as well as what controls whom questions should be raised.

    Questions : what is really "innovation"?
    How about when in order to be innovative we loose previous skills which were
    very important as well as previous knowledge?

    What is "support" and how may an information system really be of support to a
    human decision maker?

    What is really most important to those making decisions in various fields
    today?

    And what is finally "decision making" today in the interconnected world of
    information workload?

    Who really decides what and which models of reasoning are becoming predominant
    indeed?

    It is planned to include some risks and failures based on specific cases
    analysis. We will also provide some evidence as for what should be avoided and
    which are the essential components which should never be left out of any
    decision making process.

    Could you please consider writing one chapter for our book?

    Please feel free to take co-authors.

    Approximate number of pages in each chapter - 30

    Publication date - 2002.

    Important Dates

    Authors are invited to submit summary (one page) of their proposed chapters as
    well as their brief resume (CV).

    Acceptance decision.

    Draft chapter due

    Feedback to the authors

    Camera ready chapter due

    We will be pleased to offer one copy of this book to the first named author/or
    the corresponding author to express our appreciation.

    Prof. Dr. Graziella Tonfoni
    Prof. Dr. Lakhmi Jain

    Please send your proposals to:
    Dr. Lakhmi Jain
    Professor of Knowledge-Based Engineering
    Director/Founder KES Centre
    SCT-Building
    University of South Australia, Adelaide
    Mawson Lakes, S.A. 5095