[UAI] invitation: INTELLIGENT TECHNIQUES IN THE INSURANCE INDUSTRY

From: Lakhmi Jain (Lakhmi.Jain@unisa.edu.au)
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 09:32:33 PDT

    Invitation

    Dear Colleagues,

    We are in the process of editing a book on:

    INTELLIGENT TECHNIQUES IN THE INSURANCE INDUSTRY
    Theory and Applications

    We would like to invite you to write a chapter for the book.

    At the turn of this century, the premiums written by insurance companies were
    nearly $2.5 trillion (USD) worldwide, and growing. Many factors will influence
    the continued growth of the industry, including such things as a rapidly
    changing risk environment and market conditions, but one of the dominant
    factors will be technology, and an important component of that will involve
    computational intelligence. This will continue the world-wide trend to fuse
    intelligence into insurance-based programs.

    The main paradigms for generating intelligence in systems include artificial
    neural networks, evolutionary computing techniques, chaos theory, fuzzy
    systems, and intelligent agents, as well as the fusion of these paradigms.

    This novel book brings the reader the recent advances in the theory and
    implementation of intelligent paradigms in the insurance industry. It brings
    together for the first time the successful applications of intelligent
    paradigms, including comparisons with conventional methods, in areas such as
    asset allocation, cash-flow analysis, claim processing, classification,
    forecasting, fraud detection, insolvency, investments, liability projections,
    loss distributions, marketing, pricing and premiums, ratemaking, reinsurance,
    survival analysis, taxation, and underwriting.

    The intention of this book is to provide a concise introduction to the
    particular topic from the vantage point of a newcomer. As such, each chapter
    must be complete within itself. Naturally, reference to additional or more
    advanced material is expected to be given in the reference section.

    Specifics:

    Proposals on all relevant topics are invited.

    Co-authored chapters are welcome.

    Approximate number of pages in each chapter - 30

    Publication date - 2003

    Important Dates

                    30 April 2002: Authors are invited to submit summary (one
    page) of their proposed chapters as well as their brief resume (CV).
    15 May 2002: Acceptance decision.

    30 September 2002: Draft chapter due

    30 October 2002: Feedback to the authors

    30 November 2002: Camera ready chapter due

    We will be pleased to offer one copy of this book to the first named author or
    the corresponding author to express our appreciation.

    Please consider writing one chapter for our book.

    Please send your chapter proposal to:

    Arnold F. Shapiro
    Penn State University
    310F Smeal College of Business