Welcome to my website! I am an Assistant Professor in the School of Mechanical, Industrial, and Manufacturing Engineering at Oregon State University. I direct the Robotics and Human Control Systems Lab, as part of the OSU robotics group. Previously, I was an Associate Research Scientist in Mechanical Engineering at Yale University, associated with the Grab Lab. Before that I was a post-doctoral fellow at the University of Washington Neurobotics Lab with Prof. Yoky Matsuoka. I received my PhD from the Robotics Institute at Carnegie Mellon working with Prof. Matthew T. Mason and Dr. Alfred Rizzi.
1. Our group is participating in the DARPA Robotics Challenge as part of Team ViGIR. Alex Goins, Zhifei Zhang, and Jordan Meader, students from our lab, are implementing grasping and manipulation algorithms on the robot. Go Team ViGIR!
2. Springer is publishing a book that I co-edited with Veronica Santos of Arizona State University on how the human hand has inspired robot hand development over the decades. Thanks to the wonderful authors who contributed chapters. Available early 2014!
3. Jade Montgomery, an undergraduate research assistant in our lab, received the Undergraduate Researcher of the Year award and Best Poster Award from the OSU College of Engineering for her honors thesis work in our lab on using implanted mechanisms in tendon-transfer surgery. Congratulations Jade!
4. Our paper on using implanted passive engineering mechanisms to improve the robustness of tendon-transfer surgery has was presented at the Hamlyn Symposium on Medical Robotics. (PDF)
5. Our paper on using implanted passive engineering mechanisms to advance tendon-transfer surgery was presented at the International Symposium on Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering (CMBBE 2013). (PDF).
6. Our group is excited to participate in the OpenSim workshop in March 2013. I received the Outstanding Researcher Award from the NIH National Center for Simulation in Rehabilitation Research.
7. Check out our papers on incorporating variable transmission mechanisms in the design of underactuated robot hands for improving grasp robustness (IROS 2012) and enabling sensorless transitioning from a pinch grasp to a power grasp (ReMAR 2012).
B Eng. (Hon, 2000), M.Eng (2000), Mechanical Engineering, National University of Singapore.
MS (2003), PhD, Robotics (2006), Carnegie Mellon University.
Robotic Manipulation and Locomotion
Human Control Systems (Hand biomechanics, skill Acquisition, and control execution)
Kinematics, Dynamics, and Controls
Jump to the research page; publications page.
Associate Editor, The International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics (AIM), 2009.
Program Committee, Robotics: Science and Systems, 2007, 2008, and 2011.
Reviewer for several robotics conferences since 2001 (ICRA, IROS, BioRob, ASME IDETC).
Reviewer for Journal of Neurophysiology, Journal of Nonlinear Dynamics, International Journal of Robotics Research, Autonomous Robots.
I have been performing an Indian classical percussion instrument called the Ghatam for over seventeen years. Check out my music page and this fun article in the Sruti magazine.
Contact: ravi.balasubramanian at oregonstate.edu