Re: Dempster-Shafer vs Bayes

Bob Welch (bwelch@gensym.com)
Fri, 14 May 1999 09:24:19 -0600

Jim:

J. Pearl devoted an entire chapter (Ch 9) to a comparison of Bayesian
versus Dempster Shafer.
Judea Pearl, Probabilistic Reasoning in Intelligent Systems, Morgan
Kaufmann, 1986.

In making a comparison I would suggest you include a comparison with a
Bayesian network that is built from causal relationships (and so exhibits
lots of conditional independence and absence of directed arcs) where causes
are the roots versus evidence based networks where the symptoms are the
roots, which is the Dempster Shafer framework as a "Theory of Evidence". An
evidence based system has problems sorting out the natural dependence among
symptoms, where as the causal based Bayes net is very good in anticipating
that dependence.

Also, you may want to consider development costs. In assessing the evidence
based system, the developer has to be careful to account for the dependence
among symptoms.

Bob Welch

Gensym Corporation
4940 Pearl East Circle