Re: [myers29@erols.com: Dempster-Shafer vs Bayes]

dmitri@cs.ualberta.ca
Fri, 14 May 1999 12:03:29 -0600 (MDT)

> From: "Jim Myers" <myers29@erols.com>
> To: <uai@CS.ORST.EDU>
> Subject: Dempster-Shafer vs Bayes
> Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 19:42:21 -0400
>
> Dear Colleagues
>
> I would appreciate any pointers to papers comparing the Dempster-Shafer and
> Bayesian approaches. I'm looking for papers that cover both theory and,
> especially, applications. I have a copy of David Heckerman's 90 UAI paper.

Hi,

On http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~dmitri/WorldModeling
I have pointers to the comparison of DS and Bayesian approaches
as applied to the problem of range data fusion.

You might be interested in these links:

<LI> Reasoning With Uncertainty in AI (Evidence- vs
Probability- approaches)
<UL>
<LI> <A HREF="http://turing.wins.uva.nl/~fransv">
Frans Voorbraak </A>: on justification of Demspter-Shafer; DS vs
Bayesian
vs Partial Probability Theory; for robotics</LI><LI> <A
HREF="ttp://www.wins.uva.nl/research/pion/index.html">
<i>Reasoning with Uncertainty </i> project </A> </LI>
<LI>
<A
HREF="ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/local/hummel/papers/uncertainty.ps.Z">RobertHummel</A>,
Bayesian foundation to Demspter-Shafer method;
Relationship of DS Kalman Filtering</LI>
<LI>Dempster-Shafer Theory for Sensor Fusion in Autonomous Mobile
Robotsby
<ahref="http://www.mines.edu/fs_home/rmurphy/research/evidential.html">
Robin R. Murphy </a>: temporal fusion, sensor failure issue
<LI> Approximations for Dempster-Shafer rule:
<A HREF="http://www.dfki.de/~bauer">Mathias Bauer</a></LI>

<li> Defect in Dempster-Shafer theory (on {E,F} example: degree of
belief (which if function of accumulating weight of evidence)
doesn'tconverge to chance: Bel != Pr=t^/t):<A
HREF="http://www.cogsci.indiana.edu/farg/pwang_papers.html"> Pei Wang
</a><LI>

Thanks, Russ

Regards