Re: BN prior prob

Marek J. Druzdzel (marek@andrew.cmu.edu)
Fri, 04 Jun 1999 10:48:17 -0800

--On Friday, June 04, 1999, 11:03 AM -0400 Dongsong Zeng
<zengdong@pilot.msu.edu> wrote:

> if my Belief Networks starts with unprecise prior probabilities, can I get
> precise results? How and Why? Any advices are highly appreciated.

I'm not sure the problem has been investigated as stated, but one place to
look at is the following paper:

@ARTICLE{pradhan96,
AUTHOR = "Pradhan, Malcolm and
Henrion, Max and
Provan, Gregory and
del~Favero, Brendan and
Huang, Kurt",
TITLE = "The Sensitivity of Belief Networks to Imprecise
Probabilities: An Experimental Investigation",
JOURNAL = "Artificial Intelligence",
VOLUME = 85,
NUMBER = "1--2",
MONTH = AUG,
YEAR = 1996,
PAGES = "363--397"
}

The paper shows experimentally that there are good reasons not to worry too
much about precision of numerical parameters in Bayesian networks.

Other directions to look at are: sensitivity analysis (finding out what
matters in a model and increasing precision of those parameters; in
addition to classican decision analysis, there was some work published in
UAI, some names here are: Laskey, Cozman), expected value of reducing
uncertainty (Henrion's dissertation and book "Uncertainty").

Marek
Marek J. Druzdzel http://www.pitt.edu/~druzdzel