Mike Bailey, PhD
Latest update: March 27, 2018
Mike Bailey is a Professor in
Oregon State University.
He specializes in scientific visualization,
3D interactive computer graphics,
Mike also has a long-held interest in teaching, as he approaches the
7,000 students-taught-in-class mark, and having won 11 university awards
and 2 outreach awards.
Oregon State University
2117 Kelley Engineering Center
Corvallis, OR 97331-5501
-- Here are directions to the Kelley Engineering Center.
-- Here is a zoomed-out map.
-- Here is a zoomed-in map.
If you want further directions, the "unofficial" address of
the Kelley Engineering Center is "2500 Monroe St., Corvallis, OR".
GPS units and Google Maps seem to know what to do with this.
|Ph.D. in Computer Graphics and Computer Aided Design
|Master of Science in Computer Graphics and Computer Aided Design
|Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering (with Highest Honors)
|Professor, Computer Science
||Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR.
|Professor, Computer Science and Mechanical Engineering
||University of California at San Diego, San Diego, CA.
|Director of Visualization
||San Diego Supercomputer Center; San Diego, CA.
|Director of Advanced Development
||Megatek Corporation; San Diego, CA.
|Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering
||Purdue University; West Lafayette, IN.
|Computer Aided Design Technical Staff
||Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, NM.
- Faculty Member on the OSU Board of Trustees, 2016-.
- OSU EECS Professor of the Year Award, 2017.
- OSU EECS Innovative Professor Award, 2014.
- OSU Faculty Senate President, 2015.
- OSU Faculty Senate, 2008-2015.
- OSU Beaver Champion award, 2012.
- Co-author: Computer Graphics Shaders: Theory and Practice, Taylor and Francis, 2012.
- OSU Austin Paul teaching award, 2008.
- OSU EECS Most Enthusiastic Professor Award, 2005.
- UCSD Distinguished Teaching Award, 2002.
- UCSD Computer Science Teacher of the Year award: 1997-98, 1998-99, 1999-2000, 2000-2001, and 2001-02.
- UCSD Connect Athena Pinnacle award for K-12 outreach activities, 1999.
- Chair, national Graphics Performance Characterization (GPC) group, 1993-1997.
- United States Patent 5,185,858: Image Priority Video Switch, 1991.
- Member, Association of Computing Machinery (ACM) and ACM's Special Interest Group on Computer Graphics (ACM-SIGGRAPH).
- SIGGRAPH Executive Committee, 1986-1990
- ACM SIGGRAPH Conference Co-Chair, 1991.
- ACM SIGGRAPH Conference Committee, 1984, 1985, 1987, 1988, 1994, 2011.
- Member, IEEE Computer Society and Technical Interest Group on Computer Graphics.
- IEEE Visualization Conference Chair, 2001.
- Guest Editor, Computer Graphics and Applications special issue on Graphics in Education,
- Technical Chair, VRML '95 Symposium, December 1995.
- Purdue SAE Ralph Teetor Award, 1983, for excellence in teaching and student service.
Research areas of interest include a variety of topics in the general field
of scientific computer graphics,
with a specific interest in GPU-based techniques,
solid freeform fabrication for visualization hardcopy,
stereographics, and augmented reality.
- Alex Wiggins
- Jian Tang
- Braxton Cuneo
- Richard Cunard
- Glann Upthagrove
- Wenbo Hou
- Braxton Cuneo
Past Graduate Students and Where They Went
- Candace Rush (General Electric)
- Bill Charlesworth (International TechneGroup)
- Steve Van Frank (LynxSys)
- Dave Plunkett (AutoDesk)
- Jim Freeman (Hughes Aircraft)
- Dave Nadeau (San Diego Supercomputer Center)
- Jack Middleton (Sun Microsystems)
- David Isacoff (NSA)
- Roger Spreen (Adobe)
- Rich Crawford (University of Texas)
- Dan Fagan (Ford)
- Cherilynn Michaels (Orincon)
- Timothy Wang (?)
- Steve Lukas (Sony Online Entertainment)
- Wolfgang Bloem (IBM)
- Daniel New (SPAWAR)
- Kyle Bulloch (Hewlett-Packard)
- Dru Clark (Scripps Institution of Oceanography)
- Matt Clothier (OSU PhD program)
- Nick Gebbie (Bunkspeed)
- John Datuin (General Atomics)
- Daniel Moffitt (Microsoft)
- Ankit Khare (Midway Games)
- Avneet Sandhu (Mentor Graphics)
- Vasu Lakshmanan (Expedia)
- Dwayne Robinson (Microsoft)
- Kyle Hatcher (Mygistics)
- Chris Janik (Intel)
- Adam Leibel (Intel)
- Chuck Evans (Intel)
- Chris Moore (Uniuversity of Hawaii)
- Sudarshanram Shetty (Intel)
- Nick Schultz (Intel)
- Matthew Reed (?)
- Will Dillon (OSU College of Earth, Ocean, and Atmospheric Sciences)
- Alex Wiggins (OSU PhD program)
- David Burri (?)
- Michael Tichenor (?)
- Randy Rauwendaal (Apple)
- Justin Carr (OSU Business Systems Group)
- Ben Tribelhorn (Seattle University)
- Viriya Ratanasangpunth (Amazon)
- Bryan Pawlowski (Intel)
- Chris Schultz (NVIDIA)
- Wojtek Rajski (Intel)
- Jim Schneidereit
- William Leslie
- Matt Viehdorfer (Oregon Health Sciences University)
- Hongyan Yin
- Basim Iskandarani
- David Stuve
- Matt Clothier
- Sean Moore
- Ali Alsalehy
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."
-- Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets