Re: [UAI] Fuzzy sets vs. Bayesian Network

From: Bruce D'Ambrosio (dambrosi@CS.ORST.EDU)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2000 - 14:14:28 PST

    On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, Hansen, Peter Friis wrote:

    > I have been asked to write a one-page summary on fuzzy sets --- yet another
    > area of which I have no knowledge --- and I therefore would be interested in
    > some clarification on what cases fuzzy set theory is capable of modeling
    > better than Bayesian Network models.

    My 2 cents ....

    Bayesian theory is fully consistent: there is only _one_ way to do
    your algebra. While fuzzy logic has an infinite amount of possible
    computational rules: all hinges around the fact that there are
    infinitely many ways to define t-norms or t-conorms, and there is no
    ``first principle'' that tells you which one to choose. Therefore, you
    can write an infinite number of papers on the same real system and the
    same data :-) (Which is what many people do indeed :-( )

    Hence, fuzzy logic is indeed more general; in fact it is too general to
    be still called a scientific paradigm (because of the above-mentioned
    indefiniteness of its calculus).

    --
    Herman.Bruyninckx@mech.kuleuven.ac.be (Ph.D.)    Fax: +32-(0)16-32 29 87
    Dept. Mechanical Eng., Div. PMA, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium