Re: [UAI] mixed variables

From: alexvk@vostok.engr.sgi.com
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 12:20:08 PDT

    > Has anyone looked at finding optimal discretizations by having a
    > discrete variable as a child of a continuous variable and then
    > optimizing over the distribution? [I was teaching my class about mixing
    > continuous and discrete variables and sketched out how this could be
    > done, but I couldn't find a reference.]

    Part of my Ph.D. thesis work was exactly about this (also, optimizing
    discretization over the distribution given evidence). It is still
    available at:

    http://robotics.stanford.edu/~alexvk/Public/thesis.ps

    In short, I was trying to minimize the KL distance of the answer to a
    query given a BN on discrete and continuous variables. It can be done
    by propagating information back and forth throughout a network (in a
    fashion very similar to LS algorithm).

    The initial work was published in UAI-97.

    --
    Alexander V. Kozlov | alexvk@engr.sgi.com | (650) 933-8493