[UAI] CFP of a chance discovery session (KES2000)

From: Yukio Osawa (osawa@gssm.otsuka.tsukuba.ac.jp)
Date: Sat Apr 29 2000 - 18:22:00 PDT

    Dear UAI Community,

    In KES'2000 (Fourth International Conference on Knowledge-Based Intelligent
    Engineering Systems & Allied Technologies 30, 31 August, 1 September 2000,
    see http://luna.bton.ac.uk/~kes2000/ for details) I am organizing a special
    session on "chance discovery" from data. Although this is a small organized
    session, I welcome submissions by people newly interested in chance
    discovery.

    Chance discovery means to find signs which have possibility to become
    benefits or risks in future management of a company or future life of people,
    from existing data. The difference from "prediction" is that a chance may
    not really affect the future if people ignore the chances or avoid the risks.
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent the future" and chances
    serve as hints for inventing or surviving the future. In other words, a
    chance is an entrance into the way of inventing or surviving the future,
    rather than the future itself - one has to open the door and walk through it.

    Let me show a small example:
    When the first paper about genome analysis appeared in the AI area as a
    new application of AI tools, the AI community could not predict it would
    make a significant trend: There was no time-series of the frequency of
    "genome analysis" on which to predict the increase of the word's frequency,
    because this was the first paper. Thanks to the efforts of advertising
    genomes as a chance to appeal the usefulness of AI tools, however, we now
    have a plenty of AI researchers contributing to genome analysis.

    Such a promotion is a human-information interaction for making the chance,
    i.e., "genome analysis" in fasion. Imagine that the paper was
    a book ... the book seller could have caught a sales chance by advertising
    the book to both communities of bilology and AI, or by promoting a forum
    gathering people from AI community and biology community.

    If you take "chance" as risk, it is also meaningful to find risks and the
    reasons for the existence of risks. By knowing the reasons, one can plan
    the actions for avoiding the risks, or avoid panics. The contribution of
    chance discovery to marketing, product development, and many other
    situations in human life is expected to be significant, according to
    professionals in domains directly relevant to human life.

    The paper dead line is May 15th, by which no more than 4 pages of IEEE
    format in
    http://luna.bton.ac.uk/~kes2000/#papers
    http://luna.bton.ac.uk/~kes2000/guide.htm
    is welcomed to be sent to me ***electronically***. The most welcomed style
    is a postscript file, gzipped and uuendoded. Please kindly e-mail me
    your will to submit and a short paper abstract, before you submit the paper
    (if you have some reason for submission delay, please include it in the
    e-mail).

    Also, I and other forty people interested in chance discovery from data are
    going to organize a mailing list soon. People interested in this ML are all
    welcomed to join us by mailing <matumura@miv.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp>. At the first
    stage we will make a simple (alias) version and then develop it further.

    Thank you for your kind attentions.

    Sincerely,

    Yukio OHSAWA
    Dr. Eng, Associate Professor in University of Tsukuba
    3-29-1 Otsuka, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 112-0012 Japan
    Fax: +81-3-3942-6829
    e-mail: osawa@gssm.otsuka.tsukuba.ac.jp