[UAI] CFP: IJCAI Wkshp on Economic Agents, Models, and Mechanisms

From: Peter Wurman (wurman@csc.ncsu.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 12 2001 - 07:08:40 PST

    IJCAI-2001 Workshop on
    Economic Agents, Models, and Mechanisms
    http://www.cs.brown.edu/people/amygreen/workshop.html

    Seattle, Washington, August 6, 2001

    CALL FOR PAPERS

    At their cores, both artificial intelligence and economics model decision
    making. This commonality is embodied in the recent work by computer
    scientists on auctions and agents for electronic commerce. From economics
    we adopt the goal of designing auctions and other mechanisms that support
    particular allocative objectives. Artificial intelligence provides
    algorithms for the individual decision maker, giving agents the ability to
    make (boundedly) rational choices. Both economics and AI (in particular
    multi-agent systems) also study the emergent behavior of the collective.

    This workshop will explore current research in the intersection of these
    two fields. We invite submissions from any of these three areas:
    mechanism (particularly, auction) design, economic agent design, or
    economic modeling. Specifically, we solicit papers dealing with, but not
    limited to, the following: agent technology applicable to the design of
    economic mechanisms; economic modeling of agent-based systems; economic
    theory that facilitates agent implementation; empirical evaluations of
    economically-motivated agents or economic mechanisms; position statements
    about the application of economics in artificial intelligence.

    Workshop

    We plan to have both research presentations and panels in order to
    motivate discussion and promote cross-fertilization of ideas. To encourage
    interaction and a broad exchange of ideas, the workshop will be limited to
    40 participants and ample time will be allotted for general discussion. If
    you would like to attend, please email a message with your name,
    affiliation, and a one-paragraph statement of interest to the organizers
    by May 31. Workshop attendees must register for the main IJCAI conference.

    Submission

    If you intend to submit a paper, please send the organizers an email by
    February 15, 2000. We ask authors to submit an extended abstract of up to
    8 (one column) pages by February 28, 2001. Decisions about submissions and
    an agenda will be announced on March 31, 2001. Camera-ready version of
    papers and abstracts must be submitted by April 15, 2001. Manuscripts are
    expected to be in English, in either postscript or PDF format. If we
    receive an adequate number of quality papers, we will seek to publish them
    as a collection.

    Organizers

    Amy Greenwald
    Department of Computer Science
    Brown University, Box 1910
    Providence, RI 02912

    Peter Wurman
    North Carolina State University
    106 Ventures I; Centennial Campus
    940 Main Campus Dr.
    Raleigh, NC 27695-7535

    Program Committee

    Robert Axtell, Brookings Institute
    Craig Boutilier, University of Toronto
    Jeff Kephart, IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
    David Parkes, University of Pennsylvania
    Amir Ronen, Stanford University
    Yoav Shoham, Stanford University
    Gerry Tesauro, IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
    Bill Walsh, University of Michigan
    Mike Wellman, University of Michigan

    --
    -- Pete