[UAI] Re: From the Indian press

From: Kathryn Blackmond Laskey (klaskey@gmu.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 12 2001 - 12:57:38 PST

    I've just switched the text of my Bayesian stats course to the second
    edition of Peter Lee's book. The second edition added a chapter on
    hierarchical models and also one on MCMC and EM. It is the only text
    I've been able to find that is appropriate for a first course in
    Bayesian stats for students with an engineering orientation. I need
    a book that doesn't shrink from mathematics, but also doesn't
    emphasize proofs. Engineers can do math, but they're more interested
    in applications than proofs, and they need intuitive understanding of
    why results are true rather than formal derivations.

    Kathy Laskey

    ------- End of Forwarded Message