[UAI] [Last Call] AAAI Symposium on Anchoring Symbols to Sensor Data

From: Alessandro Saffiotti (asaffio@aass.oru.se)
Date: Wed Mar 21 2001 - 14:33:48 PST

    Apologies for cross-posting. Please help forward this announcement to
    those who you think might be interested. Thank you.

     AAAI Fall Symposium on
     Anchoring Symbols to Sensor Data in Single and Multiple Robot Systems

    The focus of this symposium is on the connection between abstract- and
    physical-level representations of objects in autonomous robotic systems.
    We call "anchoring" the process of creating, and maintaining in time,
    this connection. Anchoring can thus be seen as a special case of symbol
    grounding where the symbols denote physical objects.

    Anchoring is required in any robot that uses a symbolic representation.
    A typical example is to identify and track a specific person in a crowd
    given a linguistic description. Anchoring must also occur in multiple
    robot systems whenever the robots exchange information via symbolic
    representations. We talk in this case of "grounded communication".
    Grounded communication is also needed for effective human-robot
    cooperation.

    Our main preoccupation is a practical one. All existing robotic systems
    that comprise a symbolic reasoning component implicitly incorporate a
    solution to the anchoring problem. However, this solution is typical
    developed on a system by system basis on a restricted domain. The
    ambition of this symposium is to create an interdisciplinary community
    that will develop a general theory of anchoring. The emphasis will be
    on the computational aspects of anchoring, including the functionalities
    and representations needed to perform it.

    - - Submission deadline: March 30, 2001
    - - Symposium days: November 2-4, 2001 (North Falmouth, MA, USA)
    - - Detailed information: http://www.aass.oru.se/Agora/FSS01/

    Alessandro Saffiotti, Orebro University, Sweden