Re: [UAI] A general-purpose algorithm for belief networks?

From: Fabio Gagliardi Cozman (fgcozman@usp.br)
Date: Thu Apr 05 2001 - 10:41:33 PDT

    Dear UAIers,

            I must thank Russell Almond for adding to my list of
            references; I also must note that the SPI algorithm
            by Li and D'Ambrosio offered an early insight into
            the use of serial elimination (this is referenced in
            the paper I mentioned, together with Shenoy and Shafer's
            scheme):

    Z. Li and B. D'Ambrosio, Efficient inference in Bayes networks
    as a combinatorial optimization problem, Int. J. of Approximate
    Reasoning, 11, 1994.

            In SPI, like in standard variable elimination, the focus
            is on inference for a single query. In fact, variable
            elimination can be faster for single queries than
            the junction tree approach. And Russell is correct that
            doing elimination is equivalent to building a triangulated
            graph (it is a result in graph theory that an elimination
            ordering produces a triangulated graph; I think this is
            used in Jensen's 1996 book).
            Coupled with the possibility of doing a second pass and
            so getting all marginal probabilities, variable elimination
            becomes a quite powerful scheme.

                    Best,

                            Fabio