Re: [UAI] The conditional-independence symbol for LaTeX

From: Milan Studeny (studeny@utia.cas.cz)
Date: Thu May 10 2001 - 09:02:26 PDT

    I was told by Phil Dawid that the symbol for conditional
    independence was proposed to resemble perpendicularity symbol \perp
    The motivation was that it can be interpreted as an analogue of
    perpendicularity. Quite elegant symbol for that is then
      \def\ci{\perp\!\!\!\perp}
    which allows to denote that A is conditionally independent of B
    given C with respect to P (probability distribution if necesary)
    as follows
      $A\ci B \,|\, C \,\,[P]$
    I follow Phil's advice concerning notation several years.
    The proposal given by Jeff Bilmes which used \bot instead is also a good
    solution.

     Let me propagate my proposal how to denote conditional DEPENDENCE,
    i.e. negation of conditional independence. One can use
      \def\dep{\top\!\!\!\top}
    which gives something like the symbol for conditional independence
    but rotated 180 degrees. It looks better than 'crossed' symbol
    of conditional independence.
         Regards from
                            Milan Studeny