RE: [UAI]how to evaluate approximate algorithms when exact solution is not available?

From: Glenn Jones (beacon@interact.net.au)
Date: Sat May 12 2001 - 19:20:45 PDT

    I concur with what Zadeh had to say. My own interest has been in the
    application of Baysian and similar theories to the provision of useful
    predictions in 'closed' law enforcement environments such as air and sea
    cargo terminals and passenger halls at airports (looking for a better way to
    target contraband smugglers and quarantine risks). I use the term 'closed'
    in so far as the number and type of data variables are more limited than in
    street policing and therefore possibly more manageable from an analytical
    perspective.

    The problem that those of us who have examined the application of Baysian
    systems to such environments have faced is that of usefully dealing with the
    'possible but not probable'. The worse case scenario is that everyone in a
    passenger hall at a given is trying to smuggle contraband - 'possible' but
    hardly 'probable'.

    But as you work your way back from this extreme, the whole application of
    probability to the question of who is carrying the drugs, guns, weapons-grae
    plutonium, etc. becomes blurred and therefore imprecise. The fact that such
    imprecision exists is not an argument against attempting to
    allocate/quantify risk factors and the undertaking considered analysis.
    Rather it is an argument in favour of also having sniffer dogs and x-ray
    machines at airports. I would be interested in the views of others.

    Glenn Jones
    Managing Director
    Prediction Systems Pty Ltd
    Canberra Australia