Re: [UAI] learning HMM structure

From: Murat Deviren (Murat.Deviren@loria.fr)
Date: Thu Jun 14 2001 - 10:09:03 PDT

    Learning the structure of HMMs can be handled using the framework of Dynamic
    Bayesian networks (DBNs) . Smyth97 is a good reference to see that an HMM is
    a specific example in this framework. Friedman98a and the references within
    discuss the general learning algorithms and scoring metrics for DBNs. In our
    recent work we are using the DBN setting to learn the structure of HMMs for
    speech recognition tasks. Initial results will be published in Eurospeech
    2001.

    @Article{Smyth97,
      author = {Padraic Smyth and David Heckerman and Michael I. Jordan},
      title = {Probabilistic Independence Networks for Hidden Markov Probability
    Models},
      journal = {Neural Computation},
      year = {1997},
      volume = {9},
      number = {2},
      pages = {227--269},
    }

    @InProceedings{Friedman98a,
      author = {Nir Friedman and Kevin Murphy and Stuart Russell},
      title = {Learning the Structure of Dynamic Probabilistic Networks},
      booktitle = {UAI'98},
      year = {1998},
        address = {Madison, Wisconsin},
      }