Re: [UAI] How to estimate the parameters of a Noisy-or belief Network?

From: Kathryn Blackmond Laskey (klaskey@gmu.edu)
Date: Sun Jul 08 2001 - 12:08:53 PDT

    Missing values and hidden variables are usually handled either
    deterministically with EM or some related maximum likelihood method,
    or by stochastic simulation. You might be interested in our paper on
    the subject, looking at population-based stochastic search algorithms:

        http://ite.gmu.edu/~klaskey/papers/Laskey_Myers_popMCMC.pdf

    There are several different ways to represent a noisy-OR as a
    hidden-variable model. There were papers on this by Heckerman in UAI
    a few years back. I don't have the references, but look in the
    online proceedings with author Heckermand and "causal independence"
    in the title. You can also look in the lecture notes for my course
    on probabilistic modeling:

       http://ite.gmu.edu/~klaskey/INFT819/819_Unit2.pdf

    Kathy Laskey

    >Hi,
    > I use Noisy-or belief network in information filtering. But I do
    >know how to estimate the paramter (Namely, Cij)from data. Futhmore, there
    >are hidden variables in the network, I do not know how to deal with them.
    >Maybe EM algorithm is workable.
    > I wonder general methods of parameter estimation in belief network
    >can apply to Noisy-or model, or there are may-be good methods for
    >simplified networks.
    > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    >
    >Tong.

    - --
    +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

    Kathryn Blackmond Laskey (703) 993-1644 (voice)
    Department of Systems Engineering (703) 993-1521 (fax)
        and Operations Research klaskey@gmu.edu
    Mail Stop 4A6 http://www.ite.gmu.edu/~klaskey/
    George Mason University
    Fairfax, VA 22030

    If a man will begin with certainties, he will end in doubts; but if he
    will be content to begin with doubts, he will end in certainties.
                           Francis Bacon (1561-1626), Advancement of Learning

    ------- End of Forwarded Message