Re: [UAI] Definition of Bayesian network

From: Bob Welch (indianpeaks@home.com)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 16:49:07 PDT

    Dave:

    In the simulation and reliability communities there are attempts to
    reconcile continuous time "physics" with discrete events like component
    failures, alarms, etc. Rather than have a Bayesian network at each real
    valued time index, we might be better to focus on Bayesian networks that
    occur at random times, like the discrete events and integrate the
    transitions between these Bayesian networks. One would need a method for a
    "Bayesian " inversion of the integration in order to determine when and what
    root cause events occurred that result in current alarms or component
    failures.

    I recommend the book, C. Smidts, J. Devooght, and P.E. Labeau, "Dynamic
    reliability: future directions: International Workshop Series on Advanced
    Topics in Reliability and Risk Analysis", University of Maryland, ISBN
    0-9652669-3-1 for an introduction. Jacques Devooght's article may give some
    insight to a methodology that could be adapted. (My own contribution to the
    book discusses some of these issues, but is a long way from a full
    development).

    Bob.