[UAI] Semantic of Possibility Theory

From: Smets Philippe (psmets@ulb.ac.be)
Date: Mon Sep 03 2001 - 11:00:03 PDT

    Reference

      Subject: Re: Re; [UAI} Definition of a Bayesian Network
    From: Kathryn Blackmond Laskey <klaskey@gmu.edu>
    Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 12:18:20 -0700
    Sender: owner-uai@cs.orst.edu

    In her mail, Kathy expresses her feeling that probability theory had
    an excellent semantic, whereas fuzzy set theory misses it.

    I like to point that a full semantic about possibility theory is
    described in the next two papers, and that this semantic provides a
    semantic for fuzzy set theory.

    The first paper presents a semantic for subjective possibility
    functions and is based on the same kind of semantic as used for
    Bayesian probabilities, i.e., betting behavior.

    The second paper presents the same semantic plus another semantic for
    objective possibility functions.

    Interested readers can downloaded these 2 papers from my web site,
    address below.

    Comments are welcome.

    Philippe Smets

    Smets Ph.(2000) Quantitative Epistemic Possibility Theory seens as an
    Hyper Cautious Transferable Belif Model.
    LFA La Rochelle, TR/IRIDIA-2000-18
    Providing a semantic to the values given to the degrees of
    possibility. Based on the TBM and cautious combination rules.
    Possib_Semantic.ps
    Possib_Semantic.pdf

    Dubois D., Prade H. and Smets Ph. (2001) New Semantics for
    Quantitative Possibility Theory.
    ISIPTA'01. Ithaca, NY.
    Semantic for both the subjective and objective possibility measures.
    SemanticPossSubjObj.pdf
    - --
    Philippe Smets

    email: psmets@ulb.ac.be
    web: http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~psmets

    Institut de Recherches Interdisciplinaires et de Developements
    en Intelligence Artificielle.
    IRIDIA-CP 194/6, Universite Libre de Bruxelles
    50 av. Roosevelt,
    1050 Bruxelles, Belgium.

    tel 32 2 650 27 29 secretary,
            32 2 344 82 96 private (where I am usually)
    fax: 32 2 650 27 15
    GSM: 32 495 50 10 72