Re: [Fwd: RE [UAI] Definition of a Bayesian Network]

From: Jonathan Weiss (jjweiss@post.harvard.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 30 2001 - 19:05:02 PDT

    First of all, I would like to commend both Lotfi and Kathy for the
    reasoned, respectful and open-minded dialog, a nice contrast to the too
    many dogmatic and antagonistic "dialogs" I have seen in the past within the
    fuzzy/Bayesian/AI community.

    Now, a few quick observations:

    1) At least as a starting point, I have always found it most useful to
    view "fuzzy sets" as a shorthand for "membership functions defined over
    [ordinary or "crisp"] sets". In other words, rather than treating the
    class of fuzzy sets as a super-class of the class of crisp sets, I view it
    as a class of constructs that are tied to crisp sets. I believe this
    distinction may clarify some of the discussion, and remove some of the
    unnecessarily competitive treatment the "crisp vs. fuzzy" issue has
    received. The issue now become whether someone can construct a class of
    membership functions that has some value (conceptual, computational,
    pedagogical, whatever) to its users.

    2) Typically, the membership functions are restricted to the ordered
    interval [0,1] with specific properties to define the 0 and 1 endpoints and
    at least an ordinal scale. It is conceivable to permit a more general
    class of functions onto a partially-ordered set (e.g. intervals), but I
    have doubts about the practical value of such a weak construct. On the
    other hand, attempts to interpret the function's range as cardinal run the
    risk of reducibility to second-order probabilities.

    3) There may be some confusion between "imprecise probabilities" and
    "probabilities of imprecisely-defined events".

    a) In the former, your space of events can pass a rigorous binary clarity
    test, but you admit imperfections in the process of assessing
    probabilities. ("I can't say for sure what the probability is that Jane
    will arrive home before 6:30, but I'd say it's about 75%.") This may be a
    way of capturing something about the myriad possible influencing factors
    that are not modeled explicitly (e.g. all the possible events that might
    have delayed Jane's train), or about the method of generating the numbers
    (show a subject an exact probability distribution for a long time, then
    hide it and ask the subject the probabilities of various intervals, and
    you'll get variability). The value of admitting such variability is that
    for decision purposes (e.g. when should I start cooking dinner) it may be
    unnecessary to determine the precise probability.

    b) In the latter case, you may have a perfectly well-defined crisp
    probability distribution over the (crisp) event domain, but still wish to
    define fuzzy events over that crisp domain and derive or reason about their
    probabilities. ("Here is my exact probability distribution over the time
    Jane arrives home. Here is my fuzzy membership function for 'early'. Now,
    what's the probability that she arrives home early?"). Here, using the
    "level sets" interpretation of the membership functions, we can use a fuzzy
    description as a compact (at least approximate) representation of a nested
    set of interval-valued problems, indexed by the membership value. (E.g.
    use the a-level set on all your membership functions to compute the
    interval values on probabilities, utilities, etc., and derive the interval
    for your answer, then "stack" these a-level sets to assemble the fuzzy set
    for the answer. Then, if desired, apply a set of predetermined linguistic
    filters to translate the answer into the appropriate language.) In
    decision situations, the value is that you obtain an answer with a
    degree-of-confidence measure attached.

    Sure it's possible to include both aspects of fuzziness in the same
    problem, but I'd prefer to start with the simpler cases where there is more
    to agree on, then add complexity. You want to go even further, what about
    fuzzy-valued membership functions -- don't go there, yet. :-)

    4) Natural language, even when restricted to static aspects of word
    meaning, is a separate issue from fuzziness. You could address the
    problems in 4a and 4b above using explicit membership functions rather than
    words. Words, as input data or output descriptors, simply add another
    layer of complexity with possibly different (meta-)semantics. The
    fundamental assumption for linguistic descriptors, in my humble opinion, is
    that the community of speakers and listeners share some common agreement on
    approximately the same interpretations for verbal descriptors, including
    underlying assumptions about context. So in the context of
    coming-home-from-work, people might share the view that arrival time has an
    essential noise level on the order of about 30 minutes (again, in a
    particular context) which is essential to interpreting the word
    "early". It is a separate and highly worthwhile challenge to model this
    social-convergence phenomenon, which may require the combined arsenals of
    fuzzy logic and probability theory. But I'm afraid that its complexity can
    only obscure the more fundamental non-linguistic issues involved in
    "imprecise probability" theory.

    5) With respect to the use of biological or artificial neural nets as
    models for how we treat probability, some caution is in order. As the
    "normative systems" school has been preaching for decades now, the behavior
    of humans or animals should be the minimal criterion for success, not the
    optimal goal to be emulated. Certainly organisms in their natural
    environments can deal effectively with chance and fuzziness within a
    comfortable range, and our engineered systems ought to do at least as well
    there, but those very strengths may turn into weaknesses when extended to
    extreme or anomalous situations. Psychologists have documented many
    instances of suboptimal and even inconsistent behavior in probability
    judgment and decision making. Hybrid or dual-mode approaches may be the
    best practical way to capture benefits of both the perceptual and the
    analytic approaches, but that still leaves the analytic approach modelers
    with the same fundamental issues to address (plus the problem of how to
    meld the components into a single system).

    6) One final thing -- let's not over-invoke Occam's razor here. Logically
    equivalent concepts may have very different semantics that lead to a
    valuable diversity in conceptual approaches. Diversity of viewpoint and
    even insularity have their benefits, as long as there is enough
    understanding and communication to transfer lessons learned and to ensure
    consistency. Human society has benefited from the diversity of natural
    languages, and although some might argue, so has computer science. So
    those who want to study t-norms, please do so, and those who like
    second-order probabilities, please do so too, and likewise those who want
    to study computational semantics. I hope we can share and benefit from one
    another's results.

    Jonathan Weiss