Re: [UAI] Generating Bayes nets randomly

From: DENVER H DASH (dhdst+@pitt.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 26 2001 - 15:16:41 PDT

    Hi.

    I think you need to distinguish between sampling the space of DAGs (for a
    fixed number of nodes) from sampling the space of probability
    distributions over the nodes. I don't think that sampling the former
    uniformly will necessarily sample the latter uniformly.

    The algorithm that I use to sample the space of DAGs for a fixed number of
    nodes is as follows:

    (1) Generate a random ordering over the nodes
    (2) Generate a lower-triangular structure matrix of 0's and 1's.

    If you can sample the ordering from a uniform distribution, I believe this
    should sample the space of DAGs from a uniform distribution, although
    admittedly I have never sought a proof of this.

    (1) can be achieved by randomly shuffling an ordering sufficiently many
    times. There is a C++ standard function called random_shuffle that
    purports to do this. Again, by symmetry I believe this should sample from
    a uniform distribution, but I haven't sought a proof.

    Cheers,
    Denver.