[UAI] A paper: "What is a structural measurement process?"

From: Lev Goldfarb (goldfarb@unb.ca)
Date: Fri Nov 30 2001 - 10:32:42 PST

    (Our apologies in case you, as a subscriber to several lists, receive
    several copies of this message)

    Dear colleagues,

    The following paper, whose abstract is attached below, proposes a
    far-reaching (biologically inspired) generalization of the classical
    concept of measurement process, based on the ETS model for structural
    representation proposed by us earlier, and attempts to explain it on a
    simple "shape example". The paper also attempts to clarify the radical
    differences between the two kinds of "measurement" processes. Thus, we
    address a very broad scientific context within which it might be useful to
    treat the proposed ETS model.

             http://www.cs.unb.ca/profs/goldfarb/smp.ps

    or
             http://www.cs.unb.ca/profs/goldfarb/smp.pdf

    Best regards,
                    Lev

         http://www.cs.unb.ca/profs/goldfarb.htm

                    WHAT IS A STRUCTURAL MEASUREMENT PROCESS?

                       Lev Goldfarb and Oleg Golubitsky

    ABSTRACT. Numbers have emerged historically as by far the most popular
    form of representation. All our basic scientific paradigms are built on
    the foundation of these, numeric, or quantitative, concepts. Measurement,
    as conventionally understood, is the corresponding process for (numeric)
    representation of objects or events, i.e., it is a procedure or device
    that realizes the mapping from the set of objects to the set of numbers.
    Any (including a future) measurement device is constructed based on the
    underlying mathematical structure that is thought appropriate for the
    purpose. It has gradually become clear to us that the classical numeric
    mathematical structures, and hence the corresponding (including all
    present) measurement devices, impose on "real" events/objects a very rigid
    form of representation, which cannot be modified dynamically in order to
    capture their combinative, or compositional, structure. To remove this
    fundamental limitation, a new mathematical structure--evolving
    transformation system (ETS)--was proposed earlier. This mathematical
    structure specifies a radically new form of object representation that, in
    particular, allows one to capture (inductively) the compositional, or
    combinative, structure of objects or events. Thus, since the new structure
    also captures the concept of number, it offers one the possibility of
    capturing simultaneously both the qualitative (compositional) and the
    quantitative structure of events.
        In a broader scientific context, we briefly discuss the concept of a
    fundamentally new, biologically inspired, "measurement process", the
    inductive measurement process, based on the ETS model. In simple terms,
    all existing measurement processes "produce" numbers as their outputs,
    while we are proposing a measurement process whose outputs capture the
    representation of the corresponding class of objects, which includes the
    class projenitor (a non-numeric entity) plus the class transformation
    system (the structural class operations). Such processes capture the
    structure of events/objects in an inductive manner, through a direct
    interaction with the environment.