[UAI] human comprehension of bayesian networks

From: Estevam Rafael Hruschka Junior (estevamr@terra.com.br)
Date: Mon Jul 01 2002 - 10:56:48 PDT

    Dear Uaiers,

    As David Heckerman said in his paper: Bayesian Networks for data mining,
    Bayesian networks are usually employed in data mining learning tasks mainly
    because they: (i) may deal with incomplete data sets in a direct way; (ii)
    can learn causal relationships; (iii) may combine a priori knowledge with
    patterns learned from data and (iv) help to avoid overfitting. However, the
    knowledge acquired by such models are not so comprehensible for humans as
    association rules are. Does this chacateristic represent an obstacle in
    domains such as data mining where it is important to have symbolic rules or
    other forms of knowledge structure?
    I mean, may I say that in a data mining application, the bayesian methods
    are appropriatted for the learning tasks (and so on), but for the data
    visualisation they're not the most appropriated?

    Thank you so much in advance for your attention,

    Estevam.
    Estevam Rafael Hruschka Junior
    Curitiba PR.
    Brasil