Re: Summer night dreams: advice & opinions wanted!

Peter Tillers (tillers@tiac.net)
Sat, 01 Aug 1998 01:07:02 -0400

--------------F47634720C43D4E9491C995E

Dear Judea,

One further note -- to avert some possible confusion. In my original
message I did make a supposition that was plainly false -- and that I only
later realized was false. For some reason I assumed that both relative
frequency statements and statements "having the structure of relative
frequency statements" cannot reflect the sort of principles one finds in
expressions such as F = MA. I was clearly wrong about that; I now think --
and I should have thought all along that -- both subjective probabilities
and statements about the expected relative frequency of something or other
can be the product of principles such as F = MA. So my objection to
"Pearl-style" inferential reasoning has nothing to do with its supposedly
simple or simplistic character. My objection rests on other grounds. But I
hasten to add: Pearl-style causal reasoning is a powerful tool! What makes
me uneasy about some of the arguments of yours that I have seen is that I
think I see in them an attempt to "squash" _all_ valid inferential
reasoning into "Pearl-style causal patterns." For example, am I correct in
suspecting that you would reject the validity or value of "ancillary
inference netwworks" of the sort that I was trying to describe?

Best regards,

Peter T.

P.S. Starting tomorrow I will be incommunicado for about a week.

Judea Pearl wrote:

> Dear Peter,
>
> I read your mesg of last Monday and, unfortunately,
> I could not understand most of what you were trying to
> express. I must report, however, that if I understood correctly
> what you said about "Pearl-style diagrams", then
> your statement is regretfully false.
>
> Here is what you wrote:
> 3. The questions in par. 2 above bring me to an alternative to the sort
> of picture of inference that I have sketched above: Pearl-style causal
> reasoning. Isn't it the case that Pearl-style causal reasoning --
> despite being avowedly _"causal"_ -- isn't it the case that Pearl-style
> causal reasoning fails to "capture" the complexity of the sort of
> (jumbled) causal reasoning that is involved in my last example? Pearl's
> diagrams look "causal" to me _only_ in the sense that they posit that
> all events have an antecedent cause or causes. In every other respect,
> his diagrams make the links between events or propositions look like
> relative frequencies rather than like the sort of complex relationships
> that one finds in even simple "real" causal hypotheses such as F = MA.
>
> My response:
> I am not sure what need be "captured" in what you call
> "the complexity of the sort of (jumbled) causal reasoning
> that is involved in my last example? "
> but I am very very sure that the diagrams I am using
> are causal in every respect, that the
> the links between events or propositions have little to do
> with relative frequencies, and that
> your "real" causal hypotheses such as F = MA
> can be incorporated properly and formally into those
> diagrams.
>
> I would encourage you to read some of the latest literature
> on causal diagrams, eg., Proceedings of UAI 1990-1998,
> Biometrika, Dec. 1995, AIJ 1997, etc. or have a glimpse at my
> web site http://bayes.cs.ucla.edu/jp_home.html
> You will be pleased to discover there methods of
> formalizing, processing and learning many features
> of causal relationships , including effects of intervetions,
> counterfactuals, confounding, causal explanations, etc.
> including even measures of legal responsibility and
> "actual causation" which are of interest to
> legal scholars.
>
> I hope you take the time to read this literature,
> Enjoy,
> =========Judea

Tillers' Dynamic Evidence Site

--with "frames":
http://www.tiac.net/users/tillers/index.html
--sans "frames":
http://www.tiac.net/users/tillers/home.html

Peter Tillers, Professor of Law
Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, Yeshiva University
55 Fifth Avenue, New York, New York 10003, U.S.A.
(212) 790-0334; FAX (212) 790-0205